Dead Insight

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 10:39 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Dead Insight

WOW! All you guys are great! Thanks for all the good advice.

I have a new 12V battery in the engine bay with good connections, so that doesn't seem to be the problem. I'll check the connections on the battery pack and starter connectors. If that doesn't fix the problem, I'll look for a salvage battery pack. I live in a small town and not sure how lucky I will be locating a salvage battery pack. Does anyone know if the HCH battery pack is compatible with the Insight? I'm just guessing Honda made more Civic Hybrids than Insights. If I have no luck with the above, I'll probably pull out the battery pack and try to run it as a non-hybrid.

Thanks again guys for all the help and the link on disabling hybrid mode. I'll keep you guys posted on my progress and post my results to help anyone else with the same problem.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:41 AM
Think green.

Victor,
I think the battery back is a bit different between the Insight and the Civic hybrid. If you click on this link, there are several links to pictures of both kinds of packs if I remember correctly. You can probably contact the person who runs that website and ask how the batteries differ.

http://www.hybrid-battery-repair.com/insight/diy.html

Old 09-27-2009, 11:04 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Not compatible. Hal

Old 10-29-2011, 11:40 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Victor123
Help. I have a 2000 Honda Insight and I think the battery pack is dead. Is there a way to rig the car so it drives on gas all the time, with no battery assist.

I bought the car with 200,000 miles. I would get IMA warning light with no charge reading on the battery pack meter ( battery recal warnings?). I was able to reset the IMA light and engine computer by disconneting the small engine battery terminals and the car would drive fine for a few hundred miles. This would go on over and over on a daily basis. A few days later, I tried to start the car, it would crank a little bit but now will not crank at all and the battery pack meter reads zero charge. I can't start the car at all and assume the battery pack is finally dead.

Help! I can't afford a new battery pack! Is there a way to rig the car to just run on engine alone? The battery pack is used to start the car and charge the small engine bay battery. How do I bypass this?

Old 10-29-2011, 11:43 AM
Enthusiast

simple fix just disconnect connector A from the BCM the car will run, a little slower naturally, but you will still get 45-54MPG thats what Iam getting now, and when you save enough money get a rebuilt one with all new cells thats it, i drive my this way even at night with wipers on and radio on even heater. there is enough juice in the IMA to charge the little 12 volt.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:02 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Victor123
Help. I have a 2000 Honda Insight and I think the battery pack is dead. Is there a way to rig the car so it drives on gas all the time, with no battery assist.

I bought the car with 200,000 miles. I would get IMA warning light with no charge reading on the battery pack meter ( battery recal warnings?). I was able to reset the IMA light and engine computer by disconneting the small engine battery terminals and the car would drive fine for a few hundred miles. This would go on over and over on a daily basis. A few days later, I tried to start the car, it would crank a little bit but now will not crank at all and the battery pack meter reads zero charge. I can't start the car at all and assume the battery pack is finally dead.

Help! I can't afford a new battery pack! Is there a way to rig the car to just run on engine alone? The battery pack is used to start the car and charge the small engine bay battery. How do I bypass this?

Old 10-31-2011, 09:03 AM
Enthusiast

i have a friend who just had a mechanic put on a alternator thats it, no more problems. runs beautiful. now when he has enough money saved he will get a rebuilt, just as good as buying one from honda at half the cost