Engine cut out problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 11:15 AM
Gone all Enviromental
Default Engine cut out problem

Hi All. Am just posting a little question here because if anyone will know, You guys will. And I cannot wait to speak to my dealer tomorrow as it is bugging me..

Purchased a Civic IMA Exec Yesterday, Is used and just over 3 years old.
Seems it was heavily used previously because it has 88000 miles on the clock.
I was driving it for the first time and waiting for it to warm up so I could check out the Engine cut off feature. I think it is really cool to sit silently at traffic lights etc and save fuel on sitting idle.

Anyway. No engine cut off. So reading the manual for all the special conditions required, Turned all fans auto, Using ECON button, Trying everything but no engine idle cut off.

When turn ignition key, all lights on dash illuminate including the auto stop etc. Cannot find any reason why the Auto stop is not working.

So Today I think to myself maybe it is a fuse. So back to the manual and find the fuse box and fuses for IMA. Checked IMA Fuse under hood (Bonet) and thats fine. Pull the IMA fuse under the Steering Column, Thats fine. Put both fuses back as I found them also I removed fuse 16 from under hood fuse box (FI-ECU) I think but put it back too.

Then went to start car again and the System Fault Yellow light is on and staying on. IMA is working fine, Charging, Assist etc all ok, Still no Engine cut off.

The only difference is Yellow light!!

Anyone have any ideas?
My theory is, The engine cut off system has a fault but for some reason the yellow light was somehow either disabled of was not responding to the fault..

ALSO, Is this covered by Honda Hybrid warranty?

Old 04-21-2008, 09:29 AM
Think green.
Default Re: Engine cut out problem

Did you try driving with the fan speed control set to OFF? I was looking in my manual, and that was one of the suggestions.
I have a service manual with some other things to look for, but I'm guessing that your dealership will have the answer before we do. I imagine they might have to reset something to get rid of that yellow fault light you now have.
You might want to try posting a link to this in the Civic I section of the forums. It's kind of hiding here in the Insight section where fewer people are likely to read it.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:10 PM
Gone all Enviromental

Thanks for the reply. But you are right, they did answer it first.
well they simply told us the engine cut off was working but not how to actually activate it. that took a while to work out for ourselves.
Our car is the Manual transmission version so it is a bit different from the automatic.
As you are coming to a stop you have to apply the break and then Clutch while putting into neutral the engine cuts off. You then coast using the break to slow you to a stop.
You then sit there in complete silence with the Bright Green engine stop light dazzling until you push the clutch in full and nudge into gear where you feel the low rumble of the engine kick back in automatically. My God That is such a sexy noise Just the fact that the technology works so well. I just love the fact that it is saving me money everytime that engine stops at a traffic light or junction. As for the Yellow light, It was because I pulled the fuse FI-ECU, The car got a strop on with me because I did that.

Dealer simply plugged it into the Laptop and cleared the error code then told me not to play with fuses in the future. And didnt even charge me a penny.
Are all Honda Dealers so generous??
Oh i just love that car now I know it all works ok.

Speaking to dealers receptionist, she told me that I have got myself a bargain with that car. Just 3 years old and less than a third of the price of a new one. She said that 88,000 miles on the clock was nothing to be concerned with because that model is built to run for 500,000 YES Half a million miles before anything should go wrong with it as long as it gets it's regular dose of Honda Servicing..

I now drive along and see all those guys in their Merc's BMW's and Jags and think hey you really do feel like you are so cool driving those big Gas guzzling monsters but my car is better!! Then I look at the Odometer and work out that I have done over 400 miles on just half a tank of petrol and think to myself, They now look like Fkuni idiots..

Old 04-21-2008, 06:47 PM
Think green.

I'm glad everything's working fine now. I was wondering if you had a standard or an automatic, if that made a difference. I guess with the manual transmission there is an extra step involved to get that auto-stop to engage.

Auto-stop is one of my favorite things. Too bad all cars don't have it.
I wish you the best of luck and safe driving with your car.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:35 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Thumbs up Re: Engine cut out problem

Originally Posted by CLP300.COM
Dealer simply plugged it into the Laptop and cleared the error code then told me not to play with fuses in the future. And didnt even charge me a penny.
Are all Honda Dealers so generous??
I'm a new Honda owner myself.
But yes, I have heard very good things about Honda service over on this side of the pond.

About 1 month ago I had to drive my little green gem though a pounding snow storm.
I had no choice. Yes, the snowflakes were large enough you could hear them hit things!
( Minnesota )

I hit a deep patch of snow that pulled off and bent part of the plastic under-body panels down there for aerodynamics. It was dragging on the pavement. I pulled off the highway in a rural area... I needed to get the car on a lift so I could inspect the damage. This car is so low to the ground, you can't see anything from being on your knees. No service here, but there was a town 6 miles away. I get to the town thinking I would find any ol' tire shop with a lift so I could look under my car.

To my good fortune I see a Honda sign.
I pull in during a storm that has now turned to rain.
The electric door opens and I pull in.
"Sorry, I don't have an appointment... and I'm in a hurry to make it to a business meeting in the next city, but can anyone check what came off the bottom of my car?"

They had 10 lifts, and they had cars on 9 of them.
Within 3 minutes they had my car on the last lift and in the air.
Within 10 minutes they had the plastic panel fixed and my car back on the ground.
No charge. I was very pleased! ( And I made it to my meeting! )

-John

Last edited by gpsman1; 04-24-2008 at 07:42 AM.