Engine vibrating

Old 12-26-2005, 01:32 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Engine vibrating

I have a 2001 Insight CVT and I'm getting a major vibration on the drivers side from the engine. The engine motor mounts are in perfect condition and the vibration gets worse in reverse. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong ?

Old 12-26-2005, 02:33 PM
Default Re: Engine vibrating

where is the electric motor mounted? Does the vibration happen at idle or during driving?

Old 12-26-2005, 02:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

Ya it's on the electric motor side. I don't hear any other noises while I'm driving. When I come to a stop and the gas motor is running your can barely hear it, but you put the car in reverse the noise gets a lot worse.

Old 12-26-2005, 04:00 PM

I'd take it into the shop. I'm not a mechanic, but I'm thinking it has something to do with the motor and/or drive shaft in some way.

Old 12-26-2005, 05:00 PM
Banned

Wild guess: I might have experienced this in my more agressive driving days. I think it was when I floored (or close) it, the rpms were low, so the assist was maxing out.

Just realize you have a CVT - I have a 5-speed. Don't know if you can lug your engine.

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 12-26-2005 at 05:17 PM.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:05 PM
now Insight, had an HCH

You checked ALL the mounts very well? Did you try having someone put the car in reverse and hold the brake while giving gas at the same time? Same for forward as well. If the mounts had any wear the motor will move quite a bit.

How many miles on the car? Has your gas mileage dropped? Almost sounds like it could be a vacuum leak, I'd think that would trigger a code though.

Old 12-27-2005, 12:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

My brother is a tech for Mercedes Benz and he says that all of the engine mounts are in good condition. Ya we tried doing the holding the brake and giving it gas thing. The motor doesn't move. It just vibrates like crazy. My Insight has 74,000 miles and actually my gas mileage has gone up and I haven't gotten any flashing lights on my dash board yet. Well I'm going to take it to Honda in the morning to have them check it out. $80 bucks just to look at the car and see what's wrong. Man I need to get into the car business.

Old 12-27-2005, 01:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

Have you changed the transmission fluid regularly?

Old 12-27-2005, 01:41 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Could your CV joint on that side be going bad?

Old 12-27-2005, 03:36 PM
now Insight, had an HCH

Originally Posted by Rick
Have you changed the transmission fluid regularly?
DING DING DING! That one sounds like a possible winner IF it for sure only does it when drivng. Another STRONG possibilty is the EGR valve. A very common problem with the Honda hybrids.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine vibrating

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands