Heat

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 03:10 PM
Enthusiast
Default Heat

I've never owned a hybrid before and am curious about their heating systems. (We sometimes hit 30 below where I live.)

I'm guessing that the Insight uses a standard "hot water" system just as a non-hybrid car. My guess is based on the assumption that the car runs mostly on gas and uses the electric motor as a booster when needed or for leaving a red light.

I've read that the Prius runs on battery within town unless the battery is low. How does the Prius produce heat on short trips?

I seldom if ever see a Prius or Insight-1 during the winter. Is this why? (Poor Heating?)

I currently own a CR-V and am waiting for my new Insight to arrive at the dealership for pickup.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:13 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Heat

Both use hot water, both will run the engine more in winter to generate heat, the more heat you use the longer it takes to warm up.
The Prius and the Hondas both require that certian operaing temps be reached before they start being hybrids...when it is too cold, you simply have a gas powered car but, these temps are reached in cold weather it just takes them longer and the hybrid abilities come on in stages, assist then regen braking, auto stop, glide, electric only mode (yes the Honda will run for a short period in electric only in the right conitions)

Old 04-17-2009, 03:15 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Heat

Originally Posted by Bobs Metallic Pearl
Both use hot water, both will run the engine more in winter to generate heat, the more heat you use the longer it takes to warm up.
The Prius and the Hondas both require that certian operaing temps be reached before they start being hybrids...when it is too cold, you simply have a gas powered car but, these temps are reached in cold weather it just takes them longer and the hybrid abilities come on in stages, assist then regen braking, auto stop, glide, electric only mode (yes the Honda will run for a short period in electric only in the right conitions)
Thanks for the information. Very helpful!