Honda response to dead battery is attrocious

Old 05-25-2009, 09:35 AM
Enthusiast
Default Honda response to dead battery is attrocious

At 82,400 miles my IMA light came on. My San Diego Honda dealer initially told me it was covered under warranty and it would take a couple days. After 3 days with no response, I went to the dealer and was told that it would not be covered because the previous owner ( I bought the car at 10,000 miles) had installed wiring on the battery to monitor performance. I had no knowledge of this and contacted the previous owner who admitted to installing the wiring, but stated it would not interfere with battery life. I equate this to installing an aftermarket tachometer on a gas engine.

The Service Manager and Chief Technician both opined that they don't believe the wiring caused the battery failure, and that 82,000 miles was within acceptable range of the battery. In California, we are supposed to be covered to 10 years and 150,000 miles.

The dealer has stated that Honda America won't cover the warranty. I have been on the phone repeatedly with Honda America who considers the matter closed and won't provide any documentation as to why they are refusing coverage.

At this point I am frustrated and pissed off. I trusted Honda until recent events. I have since installed a car wrap on the side of my car and parked it in front of the dealership. I continue to drive the car, though it is now gutless without the IMA.

This is certainly my last hybrid, and probably my last Honda.

Attached Thumbnails Honda response to dead battery is attrocious-media-cardblackberrypicturesimg00152.jpg  
Old 05-30-2009, 09:36 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: Honda response to dead battery is attrocious

This is very odd, very unusual, and very atypical.

I've heard nothing but GOOD feedback about Honda and their support of the Insight.

I've heard of 8 year batteries with 158,000 miles being replaced free of charge. Some dealers who see very few ( if any ) of these cars are not well educated on these matters, and will initially decline warranty work, but later, will get "schooled" and will be more than happy to replace what is needed.

The good comments about this car out-weigh the negatives by at least 100:1. You need to go to a dealer that sees a lot of these cars I think.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:33 PM
Enthusiast

I have taken the Insight to two Honda dealers in San Diego who have both declined warranty of my battery at 82,000 miles. The Honda District Rep is "Brian" and he is the one who is declining coverage. I can't get a last name and nobody at Honda will give me his phone number. The Honda Customer Service Rep, "Ray" said the matter is considered closed. I am now having to call the BBB Auto Line (1-800-955-5100) to see if they can resolve the matter. I have even offered to pay up to $1,000 of the repair bill and was all but laughed at.

Since parking the car in front of the dealership, I have received only one phone call from "Bill" who said they will no longer service my car.

This will be my last Honda. This will be my last hybrid. I have a hard time believing I am the only one.

Attached Thumbnails Honda response to dead battery is attrocious-media-cardblackberrypicturesimg00152.jpg  
Old 05-30-2009, 10:26 PM
Think green.

Too bad you're all the way across the country, or you might consider this:

http://www.hybrid-battery-repair.com/insight/index.html

But they're located in NY.

I wonder if there are any similar outfits in CA that do battery work like this.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:31 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I don't know if you thought about this, but why don't you remove the aftermarket parts that were installed? If the wires are outside of the battery pack then you should be set. If not, I wouldn't go after the previous owner because the battey pack did last you over 80,000 miles. You might not like the suggestion, but just pay the bill, they may even cut the labor rate for you.

Old 06-13-2009, 02:25 PM
Enthusiast

You bought a used car. In illinois if you buy a used car it is as-is no warranty. This is buyer beware. This is my second hybrid. My first got 132 thousand miles with no problems. I just got a 2010 Insight with 100,000 mile warranty on everything. Myself I will keep on buying Honda's and buying more Hybrid's. Next time buy a new car.

Old 06-27-2009, 02:28 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gairwyn
Too bad you're all the way across the country, or you might consider this:

http://www.hybrid-battery-repair.com/insight/index.html

But they're located in NY.

I wonder if there are any similar outfits in CA that do battery work like this.
Shipping an Insight battery in a crate is only $225 (two round trips) between NYC and California.

Lucius Garage in SF is an Insight specialty garage. You could try there. The owner's name is Carolyn.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:24 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Whatever mod was made to the battery has to be logically related to the causing the failure you had. If Honda cannot show such a connection they have replace the battery.

But... they can try to cut corners and see if you'll go away with their first denial.

As I get it the 1st owner installed some wires to hook up to a voltage monitor of some kind. This won't cause a battery failure.

So make sure they know you're going to be pissy and start writing letters to various organizations, state & federal.

Send copies to Honda along with a formal request for them to honor the warranty or show the logical relation of the mod to the failure. Right now they think they can just make you go away quietly.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:29 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Go into your local Honda dealership and speak to the service manager, ask him to fix it or show the logical relation of the wiring thing to the failure, when he won't, let him know his dealerships reputation will start taking a hit with your friends and acquaintances.

Be clear how disappointed you are with their failure to support you. Move up the GM and then to a regional manager.

Once they realize you won't go away they may be more ready to talk.