How to buy a used hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 12:38 PM
Enthusiast
Default How to buy a used hybrid

Hello everyone. I am thinking of purchasing a used Insight, however, I don't know much about hybrids so I'm trying to educate myself by finding out as much as I can before a decision is made. Our (wife and I) daily commute is now around 110 miles (work-school) and since our SUV required a gas station visit every 3 days at around $47 a tank, the outstanding gas mileage the Insight offers is the primary motivation for the purchase.

When checking out used hybrids, is it almost the same as checking out a regular car? What are certain things to look for? Should I worry about battery life if it is a high mileage car (e.g. >100K)? Is an extended warranty necessary?

Granted it is going to be a used car and maybe I could have a mechanic check it out, but it would be good to know if I'm looking at a good car or not. Also, although I would probably use Carfax, it could only get me so far so I would not base my entire decision on it. I would probably check out a new car also so I would know how it feels and drives.

Any advice is appreciated and thanks in advance!

Gary

Old 07-19-2005, 01:10 PM
Banned
Default Re: How to buy a used hybrid

One thing I'd check out is the lifetime mpg (i.e. did they drive the car abusively?).

Another forum had a newbie rant about her Insight getting only 41 mpg. It's rare my 5-speed gets under 50 mpg - I can get 75mpg+ on the highway if I try. Since she did not seriously follow-up with offers of help, I was left with the impression she drove her Insight very abusivly - like a high school kid delivering Domino's pizza.

Again, would not want to consider a 5-speed Honda Insight with under 50mpg.

Hope others give a good range of lifetime mpg for Prius's, Civics, etc.

On a 5-speed Insight in good weather without the A/C on:
  • 75+mpg cruising at 60mph
  • 60-65mpg cruising at 70mph
  • 50mpg or less on stop-and-go in residental areas

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 07-19-2005 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:09 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the tip. Another question...does the car require 91 octane fuel or is regular unleaded ok?

Old 07-19-2005, 03:28 PM
Enthusiast

With the Honda Civic Hybrid, the Toyota Prius and the Honda Insight you should stick to 87 octane.

Old 07-19-2005, 04:25 PM
Banned

I might have put premium in my Insight twice in five years - did not notice any difference.

Old 07-19-2005, 05:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Kid2126:

___The following might help in regards to the purchase of a used Insight:

Buying Advice …

___Be very careful out there. There are any number of “Beat to Hell” Insight’s that by all appearances look in pretty good shape from the exterior. Learn the tricks of how the SoC and Charge indicators work in an urban test drive before you head out on your own is about the best advice I can give after you have read the linked thread above. Taking a somewhat experienced Insighter with you might make the purchase a little less like “Craps” and a bit more like a well thought out and educated decision.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 07-20-2005, 08:27 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the feedback, Wayne. I checked out that link in your post and it looks like everything I need to know is there. I printed them out just in case I forget. I guess it's time to kick some tires.....