Insight IMA Battery Charging Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 05:02 PM
Enthusiast
Default Insight IMA Battery Charging Question

I’ve noticed that my 2000 Honda Insight MT IMA battery will normally be charged up to 75-90% for a good week or two then randomly go down to maybe 10% charged, and then work its way up to a fully charged state within a day or two depending on how much I drive the car.

I’m still getting good FE, 73 MPG on the way to work, 67 MPG on the way home and average for a tank about 57 MPG. Also, I have 33,000 miles on the car.

Does anyone know if this is normal battery behavior?

Thanks for the feedback!

Ryan

Old 12-02-2005, 05:12 PM
now Insight, had an HCH
Default Re: Insight IMA Battery Charging Question

That's the RECAL (recalibration) you hear mentioned so much about 2000 Insights. Common problem and completely normal. From what I've heard the more frequent the RECAL the closer you are to IMA failure. I'm having RECAL's about every 150 miles during the summer and much less frequent now that the weather is cooling. My Insight has 59,000 miles.

I'm crossing my fingers I'll have complete IMA failure before 80,000 miles and get the complete system replaced under warranty.

Old 12-02-2005, 05:19 PM
Enthusiast

Rigger.

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping you wouldn't say that!

Question about the warranty, when I called Honda of America they said the warranty was 3 years. Do you know where the 80,000 miles warranty for the 2000 Insight battery is documented? It would be nice to have that on paper.

Thanks,

Ryan

Old 12-02-2005, 05:55 PM
now Insight, had an HCH

The warranty is for the IMA (hybrid) system. The 3 year warranty is just a general warranty (engine, transmission etc). If you called them back and specified warranty for the IMA system they should tell you 8 years/80,000 miles. I've heard of plenty of people getting theirs replaced after 80,000. Hopefully Honda will keep doing that and backing their product.

Honestly, don't worry too much about it and keep enjoying your car.

Old 12-02-2005, 08:10 PM
Banned

If I can anticipate a recal about to happen, I'll just bite the bullet and drive for a full-charge over better fuel economy.

Also, be sure to replace your 12-volt battery before it goes dead and gets the hybrid battery to attempt to rescue it - it only costs $75.

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 12-03-2005 at 07:35 AM.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:05 PM
now Insight, had an HCH

Ah-ha! VERY GOOD advice Delta. Make sure to have that 12V battery tested. I've also heard of replacing/cleaning the ground cables. I have checked out my battery but haven't messed with my cables.

Old 12-03-2005, 11:06 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info and advice.

I’ve definitely been enjoying the car, it’s fun to drive and I don’t miss my 94 Prelude Vtec like I thought I would! This Insight is actually my seventh used Honda I’ve owned and over the years they have been great cars.

I’m glad Honda made the Insight fun to drive, I’ve heard from Prius reviews that it drives like a golf cart.

Regards,

Ryan

Originally Posted by rigger
The warranty is for the IMA (hybrid) system. The 3 year warranty is just a general warranty (engine, transmission etc). If you called them back and specified warranty for the IMA system they should tell you 8 years/80,000 miles. I've heard of plenty of people getting theirs replaced after 80,000. Hopefully Honda will keep doing that and backing their product.

Honestly, don't worry too much about it and keep enjoying your car.

Old 12-09-2005, 03:23 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ryanh
Thanks for the info and advice.

I’ve definitely been enjoying the car, it’s fun to drive and I don’t miss my 94 Prelude Vtec like I thought I would! This Insight is actually my seventh used Honda I’ve owned and over the years they have been great cars.

I’m glad Honda made the Insight fun to drive, I’ve heard from Prius reviews that it drives like a golf cart.

Regards,

Ryan
Have you seen Jackass: The Movie? If you have then you know a lot can be done with a golfcart. I can't say I've ever tried to jump a giant, mini-golf course, fiberglass pig, but I've had other fun on golfcarts. They are an absolute hoot, especially during midnight golf.

The Prius may not be an Insight, but it is not a golfcart either.

Old 12-09-2005, 04:25 PM
Enthusiast

I’m sure there was a bit of exaggeration wherever I heard that from.

Just a little statement for other Honda owners to enjoy! I didn’t mean to offend any Prius owners; actually I didn’t think any Prius owners would be reading about an Insight battery in the Insight forum.

Originally Posted by JeromeP
Have you seen Jackass: The Movie? If you have then you know a lot can be done with a golfcart. I can't say I've ever tried to jump a giant, mini-golf course, fiberglass pig, but I've had other fun on golfcarts. They are an absolute hoot, especially during midnight golf.

The Prius may not be an Insight, but it is not a golfcart either.