Insight mileage graph

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 04:11 PM
Engineering first
Default Insight mileage graph

I noticed things were a little quiet so I thought I'd share a graph from the recent Insight mileage effort:

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2783

http://hiwaay.net/~bzwilson/prius/pr...insight_01.jpg

Short stats:
distance: 2254.4 miles
MPG: 164.315
average speed: 18.02 mph

driving time: 125.12 hrs
average driving session: 2.32 hrs
longest session: 8.42 hrs
Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 12-04-2006 at 02:43 PM.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:02 PM
Default Re: Insight mileage graph

What's the point of the chart? It seems to only have speed. You should include mileage as well or some other data.

Old 11-26-2006, 10:03 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by tbaleno
What's the point of the chart? It seems to only have speed. You should include mileage as well or some other data.
Primarily because I'm interested in MPG vs MPH.

As for mileage, there was no usable, segment-by-segment mileage data in the log. The Insight mileage indicator was pegged at 150 MPG and it took 125 hours to get this data point.

Bob Wilson

Old 11-26-2006, 11:49 PM
Banned

I thought it was understood that the most fuel efficient hybrids available today without the plugin option will get 100-110mpg at a steady speed. At the present time, the only way to exceed it in a stock hybrid is pulse and glide as done at the Prius Marathon and the Insight Marathon. Neither event attempted to represent what was done as a typical commute, but rather very high FE could be done.

A Prius got 110mpg and traveled nearly 1,400 miles in about 48 hours. It pegged over the 99.9mpg display.

An Insight got 164mpg and traveled 2254 miles in 125 hours. It pegged over the 150mpg display (although going metric could give higher readings....)

To get better fuel economy, it is necessary to go slower.

Just in case this might be an exercise to somehow put one car over the other, I'm doubtful these stats can honestly can be used that way, in part because time was not a requirement in either marathon.

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 11-26-2006 at 11:51 PM.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:17 AM

This thread has more details. Yes, it does peg out at 150mpg thats why after the 150mpg they have l/100KM which is properly recorded in an insight http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2233

There is only one thing you have to know about MPG vs MPH. Once you get in your highest gear, the more MPH the less MPG. Also, try to stay away from steady state cruise. It is best to pulse and glide because the amount of distance you travel in a glide more than makes up for the extra fuel you burn in the pulse.

I'm surprised at how many people that think they drive 5mph over the speed limit never actually check their average mph for the trip. Lots of times driving slower and timing lights will give a higher overall average mph for a trip because when you are stopped at a light time doesn't stand still you are essentially going 0mph for the 30-60 seconds you sit there.

Old 11-27-2006, 04:54 AM
Engineering first

Hi,

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
. . . At the present time, the only way to exceed it in a stock hybrid is pulse and glide as done at the Prius Marathon and the Insight Marathon. . . .
And the TeddyGirl commute:

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showt...380&hl=112+mpg

Originally Posted by Ken1784
She wrote it was from July 4th to August 16th for her daily drive. The ICE warming up count was 75, therefore the average drive distance was 31.2 km (19.4 miles). . . .
Neither event attempted to represent what was done as a typical commute, but rather very high FE could be done.

A Prius got 110mpg and traveled nearly 1,400 miles in about 48 hours. It pegged over the 99.9mpg display.
All I know is what I read in the papers:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05220/550484.stm

Originally Posted by article
Dan Kroushl punched the gas pedal in his silver Toyota Prius during the final 30 minutes of the 47-hour, 1,397-mile trip completed on a single tank of gasoline. . . .
I believe this is ~29.72 mph using 47 hours divided into the 1,397 miles.

. . . To get better fuel economy, it is necessary to go slower. . . .
We agree. Although there were three efforts and the most successful Prius effort, TeddyGirl, included daily warm-up.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 11-27-2006 at 05:13 AM.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:10 AM
Engineering first

Mostly we agree except for:
. . .
There is only one thing you have to know about MPG vs MPH. Once you get in your highest gear, the more MPH the less MPG. . . .
Actually it is important to know the shape of the MPH vs MPG curve to avoid being on the wrong side of an inflection point.

Bob Wilson

Old 11-27-2006, 05:34 AM
Banned

Sorry I failed to mention TeddyGirl's effort.

Both vehicle are impressive with fuel economy - no doubt.

Old 11-27-2006, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Mostly we agree except for:
Actually it is important to know the shape of the MPH vs MPG curve to avoid being on the wrong side of an inflection point.

Bob Wilson
Not realy. It is nice to have fancy charts and tables, but it all boils down to MPG drops as speed increases after you have reached your highest gear.

Old 11-27-2006, 09:43 AM
Engineering first

Hi Tom,
Not really[rjw]. It is nice to have fancy charts and tables, but it all boils down to MPG drops as speed increases after you have reached your highest gear.
Not to worry, we can agree to disagree on the utility of such data. Like the old joke about the chicken and the pig who went out for a breakfast of eggs and bacon. The chicken was interested but the pig was committed. I remain interested about MPG vs MPH for all hybrids across all gear and speed ranges but committed to mapping MPG vs MPH of mine.

Bob Wilson

Quick Reply: Insight mileage graph

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands