Insight Mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 09:17 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Insight Mods

Last night while roaming around Pep Boys, AutoZone, and a few other auto parts stores looking for the last of the Mobil 1 0W-20 (found 2 cases), I started looking at the flexible preheat ducts.

The warm air mod has been around for awhile and was suggested by a few Insight owners to boost the MPG's, especially in this cooler weather.

At first I was cautious about doing the mod, the car is not even a week old yet. Less then 600 miles on it! Still on the first tank of gas.

I got beyond the worry and purchased two 16" lengths of 2" metal duct (used on older cars, from the exhaust manifold to the air filter, for preheat). One length wouldn't be long enough, so I used some metal foil tape that was leftover from a home insulation project to tape the two sections together.

After studying the routing under the hood, I went with the tried and true method of snaking the flex duct around and under the 12 volt battery tray and on to the upper catalytic converter. Kept it away from any cables and wires by using a single tie-wrap to secure it loosely to a heater hose that was nearby. It has about a three-quarter inch gap between the end of the duct and the converter heat shield. Plenty of space to pull air.

The air filter end was easy to do, just took the hose clamp off with my fingers, pulled the stock rubber tube off, and re-connected the new hose using the same clamp. The stock hose is just set off to the side, but still supported.

The temperature this morning was 41 degrees for the drive in to work.
It appeared to stay in lean burn slightly longer.
Hard to tell any increase in mileage.
It will take more driving to see the full effect and me learning to use the car better.
My other concern is to know when to pull the warm-air hose off and go back to the stock set up.
How would I tell without some form of intake temperature readout?

Old 03-02-2005, 10:57 AM
Contributor ($)

I can assure you that it is improving your mileage. I keep the "hot air mod" on year round here in Wisconsin. You were smart to do it right away. No sense giving up any mpg. Just remember to remove it when you go in for warranty work. In reality I don't see how it would void the warranty, but no need to raise any eyebrows either. I've forgotten to remove it sometimes when going in for unrelated interior work and have not had any questions asked.

Old 03-05-2005, 09:40 PM
Default Insights Mods Part Deaux

One week of ownership of the Insight - and it's great!

Still driving around to/from work on the first tank of gas - will probably have to gas up next week, it's still showing two bars. Hope gas prices hold out.

One of big tips I received concerning comfort was to look at installing an armrest. I really missed the armrest during the 5 hour drive coming home from Houston.

After hearing from other Insighters, I decided on the Husco armrest for my baby. (http://www.husco.com)
Ordered a tan armrest and received it a week later. (Thanks for the tip, Wayne)

Friday evening I started looking at it in the box, thinking I would do the install on Saturday.
Once I looked at the armrest and saw how the console was attached in the car, I decided to go for it that night.

It was a very simple installation, the instructions were clear. Totally installed in about 45 minutes. The armrest looks great and just what the car needs for comfort. With the armrest slid forward, you can rest your arm and the gearshift is in a natural reach.

The other mod I tried is to block off the lower air grill using grey shop floor cushion cut to size. This appears to be helping, trip MPG for the commute to work is still rising.

I'm still getting the hang of running up through the gears without using assist, it's tough not to light up a few bars. But I'm finding it can be done with a very careful foot on the gas pedal.

After reading more of the posts from various sites, it seems I'm not maximizing my coasting. Still breaking old habits. I'm assuming if the battery pack is fully charged, I'm better off coasting in neutral as opposed to slowing down in gear. Anyone want to share their thoughts on coasting techniques?

Regards,

Old 03-05-2005, 09:43 PM
Site Founder

I think I remember a discussion a while back about coasting in neutral. Not only is it illegal, but if I remember correctly it also could be overheating certain parts of the system that aren't meant to be heated while in motion.

Old 03-06-2005, 04:20 AM
Contributor ($)

Originally Posted by Jason
I think I remember a discussion a while back about coasting in neutral. Not only is it illegal, but if I remember correctly it also could be overheating certain parts of the system that aren't meant to be heated while in motion.
I don't exactly remember this conversation, but I do know there are 5 speed Insight drivers that do use coasting to improve mileage. Heck there are some that even turn the key back to shut down the car, and then quickly turn the key back on (not restrarting the car, just turning it enough to light up the mpg gauge) while coasting. This way, if regen is not needed, the car is not using any fuel.
There are proponents that would say "overfilling" the battery by regenerative braking is just as bad as draining the battery. I'm not sure if I agree, but I can't think of any way to prove/disprove it.
When accelerating, if you want to be gentle on the pack, I don't think you need to totally avoid using assist. Instead avoid prolonged assist, and keep it to a few bars (4-6) most of the time.

Last edited by ericbecky; 05-09-2005 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-06-2005, 05:43 AM

OK, lets do a little clarification:

1) When the term "coasting" is used by me, I'm speaking of mainly anticipating a stop ahead and pushing the clutch in, go to neutral and watch the FCD go way up. This is on level or close to level roads. Not going down the backside of a mountain road.

2) I can't see how any damage would come to an Insight with a manual transmission. The engine will continue to run until the car slows down enough for autostop. Which components are being harmed? Drivetrain? Hybrid stuff?

3) Technically, if coasting is illegal, then the Insight will get everybody in trouble. They all do autostop from about 18-20 mph, then you are coasting.

4) How would anyone not riding in the car with me know that I'm coasting?

Now I have a tune stuck in my head... playing over and over.
"I fought the law, and the law won".
It's all your fault, Jason.

Regards,

Old 03-08-2005, 10:17 AM
Contributor ($)

I think the issue that coasting laws are trying to address is that the driver cannot simply press the accelerator to gain speed if the car is shifted into neutral. If you are in neutral, you first have to shift into drive before you can accelerate, losing precious reaction time.
3) Technically, if coasting is illegal, then the Insight will get everybody in trouble. They all do autostop from about 18-20 mph, then you are coasting.
You do not have this reaction time loss when coming out of autostop. The car quickly restarts on its own when you press the accelerator without additional actions from the driver.
4) How would anyone not riding in the car with me know that I'm coasting?
No one would know, but I wouldn't want to try to explain it if there was an accident.

Old 03-08-2005, 07:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi All:

___First, I have never seen a state law prohibiting coasting with or without the ICE on but some have mentioned it. The Insight, HCH, and AH all perform this feat. Second, you have brakes, you have steering, you have brake lights, head lights, turn signals, and you have the ability to control the car with the ICE on or off. If you are in an accident from not having power, that means someone hit you from behind. I would love to see that one court. As it is, IMA starts take upwards of 400 ms so you can throw that out the window. If you were coasting with the ICE off and the clutch in while in gear, let out the clutch and the car starts. Bad for the synchro’s because you have the clutch depressed but it will start it.

___The best method in any long coast situation to stop or slow crawl from > 20 mph in an Insight is to turn the ICE off, place the car in neutral, and reboot but do not start the car. Finally, never keep the clutch depressed in a long coast as this is bad for the synchro’s as discussed above.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 03-23-2005, 10:16 AM
Default More Insight Mods

One of the things I miss in the Insight is a outside temperature reading, my wife's Acura TL has it on the dash, it's handy.

With the Insight being very temperature sensitive for maximum MPG's, it would help to know the temp as you were driving. I also worry about the radiator block and how it relates to the ambient temp.

After reading through a bunch of old messages at the Yahoo! Insight group, it appears a few people have added a rearview mirror with temp/compass features.

I'm considering a mirror made by Magna Donnelly, it has temp, compass, and a garage door opener.

Have any of the other Insight owners installed an aftermarket rearview mirror? Any problems? I understand the attachment button may need to changed, how was this done safely, without damaging the windshield?

Or is there a better option for a outside temperature reading? Dakota Digital?

Regards,

Old 05-09-2005, 07:23 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: More Insight Mods

Hi HawkGT647:

___I must have missed this one from way back when. I am sure you have already seen the following but here it is just in case you haven’t.

Insight Mods

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net