Insight observed in snowy conditions

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 05:32 PM
Enthusiast
Default Insight observed in snowy conditions

I'm new here (a "veteran" at PriusOnline) and although I am a happy and proud owner of a 2005 Prius, I registered here just to post my awed observations this morning here in snowy central Vermont. A neighbor in a silver Insight (not sure of the year) drove by the road that intersects my road (dirt roads) in a steady snowfall. Mind you, I could have driven the Prius today but in these conditions, I like to fall back on the trusty old AWD Outback. I followed the Insight to the main road and expected it to turn left, going down toward the valley. No, it turned right, the same way I was going, headed toward the top of the mountain. It was moving along at a steady pace, 45 MPH on the snow covered, frost heaved road. It had one more chance to turn and take a northern route to skirt the mountain, but no, it went straight. I felt a pang of sadness as I knew this meant the Insight would go over the mountain, not so high, but 1,300 ft. in just 3 miles with about 6 hairpin turns on each side and assuredly more snow at the top.

I continued following at a safe unpressured distance of about 8-10 car lengths. The ascending Insight was not slowing down at all. I kept up but it wasn't all that easy. It went around a hairpin turn seemingly in full control. I did it with my 4 snows (I believe the Insight had 4 snows but can't confirm) and slid a bit in the same turn, losing a bit of ground! Anyway, I kept up with it and didn't push it to the max limit of safe driving, but close. Going down the other side, pretty much the same. I was amazed at how well it did. I thought maybe the driver was going too fast for conditions in that car, but never saw any loss of traction. I was shaking my head in awe a lot this morning.

After seeing how well the Insight did, maybe I'm babying my Prius (with 4 Hakappellita RSi snows and VSC) in the snow too much, not pushing it at all (but it seems fine). If I have a question at all (this is meant to relay how awed I was), it would be does the Insight have some special traction features like the Prius' VSC?

Old 03-20-2006, 06:35 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Insight observed in snowy conditions

Originally Posted by wayneswhirld
If I have a question at all (this is meant to relay how awed I was), it would be does the Insight have some special traction features like the Prius' VSC?
first off, welcome to the boards! second, what a great story! who knew? finally, i'm not an insight owner but rather an 06 civic hybrid. i'm pretty certain the insight does not have any traction or stablility control as most of the insight systems and technologies went into the civic hybrid and the civic hybrid doesn't have those things. you can check out www.insightcentral.net that will have all the technical information and more available. great site.

again, welcome and please consider joining in on discussions!

Old 03-20-2006, 07:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

all we have is 4-wheel antilock brakes. but it seems that insight wasn't using the brakes much anyway! good to know its decent in the snow. looks like we are going to get a little snow and sleet tuesday and wednesday. guess i will leave the grand wagoneer at home. or toss the insight inside as a "spare"

Old 03-26-2006, 06:23 AM
Enthusiast

I drove my MT Insight on an inch or so of solid, warm ice about a month ago. When I left, our roads were clean and dry, but 40 miles South, the conditions went from two tracks to spots of ice to solid ice, I felt the traction decreasing. To avoid the possibility of getting involved in a multicar pileup, I went around a group of about 5 cars stacked up behind someone going less than 10 MPH. I was doing okay at about 20 MPH, but felt the rear start to swing and slowed to under 15 MPH. It didn't help much. Ultimately the rear came unglued and swung around front. I ended up doing a 270 and stopping in the oncoming lane. There was no other traffic, so I just drove away. I had low rolling resistance tires inflated to over 40 PSI, which I guess could be considered the equivalent of roller skates on ice. After that I revised my plan and parked it as soon as possible.