Mini Cooper S or Insight?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 05:22 PM
Enthusiast
Default Mini Cooper S GOOD OR BAD

I love hybrids alot and always want to get the Honda Insight, but the thing about me is that I change my mind alot of car I want to get. Right now its a battle between the Mini Cooper S and Honda Insight. These two cars are awesome and I love them both, but right now the Mini Cooper S is pretty much winning the battle. Ever since Mini Cooper came out in the year 2000 I always wanted it. The question is this: is ir good or bad to get a Mini Cooper S. Before you decide let me tell some interesting facts about the Mini. It gets an average of 25 mpg on the city and 32 mpg on the highway. Sure its not 60 mpg like the Honda Insight, but the Mini has something the Honda will never have and that is how unique and speacial the car. The car has a great history and i just love the style of the Mini. I will buy a Honda Insight in the future but not now. I am 19 and turning 20 and i need a sporty, unique, classy little two door hatchback and thats the Mini Cooper S. Also its because I driven Mini Cooper S before and it was so sweet and wickedly cool. I just loved shiting the gears. Eventhough the highest gear i went into was 2nd gear. I was able to hit 60+mph in second @ about 5000+ rpm then i would go into neutral to sloe down for the light. But i tell you this driving the Mini changed my life. When i drove the Mini it felt like a dream. Well now its up to you guys to give me your input, but my mind is much set on the Mini Cooper S for now.

Old 10-06-2005, 05:48 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Mini Cooper S or Insight?

Honda Civic Hybrid...

Old 10-06-2005, 06:30 PM

Get the cooper. If thats the way you are leaning your better off going with it. I suspect you don't realy want us to decide for you but rather give you an excuse to get the cooper so just do it.

With the way you described it it seems obvious what your priorities are and I think you would be dissapointed in the insight.

Old 10-06-2005, 06:38 PM
Enthusiast

Hey thanks! I would be happy with the insight or the mini cooper S. As long as it a new car and i can buy it and drive it.

Old 10-06-2005, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)
Default Re: Mini Cooper S GOOD OR BAD

Originally Posted by Jorge
Sure its not 60 mpg like the Honda Insight, but the Mini has something the Honda will never have and that is how unique and speacial the car.
One could argue that the Insight is more unique and just as special. The Insight is the first production hybrid, it is one of only a few aluminium cars, production is limited adding uniqueness, and it is (and has been) the highest mileage car available in the US. Hybrids are way cool, if you are into such things. In your case you honestly seem to already have your mind made up. The Mini does have a "coolness' to it. Personally I'd rather have the Insight but I'm not you. You gotta make your own choices.

Old 10-06-2005, 07:40 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

depends on how much money you have. if you have the money to get a mini, then why not? insights can be bought for very cheap when used.. someone actually bought one for 6k and of course gas savings will help your budget. on the contrary, i personally know two people who both own a mini and they love their cars as much as i love my prius. So its up to you

Old 10-06-2005, 07:42 PM
now Insight, had an HCH
Default Re: Mini Cooper S GOOD OR BAD

Originally Posted by Jorge
I am 19 and turning 20 and i need a sporty, unique, classy little two door hatchback and thats the Mini Cooper S. Also its because I driven Mini Cooper S before and it was so sweet and wickedly cool. I just loved shiting the gears. Eventhough the highest gear i went into was 2nd gear. I was able to hit 60+mph in second @ about 5000+ rpm then i would go into neutral to sloe down for the light. But i tell you this driving the Mini changed my life. When i drove the Mini it felt like a dream. Well now its up to you guys to give me your input, but my mind is much set on the Mini Cooper S for now.
Hey Jorge, if you do that with the gears it might be painful later.

All joking aside now, IMO the Insight is more "special and unique". If you want/need a wow factor from the girls you may be better off with a Mini. I like them BUT I think they are too pricey for what you get. That's my opinion again though. You should ask the same question on the Mini forum, they'll tell you the Mini is a cooler car.

Also, I agree with everything that lakedude said. That's one of the reasons I've always wanted an Insight, Unique/Special. The wife and I counted Minis yesterday. 4 of them in Publix's parking lot alone (grocery store). When I see that I think.....Moooo - Just another one of the herd.

Good luck with the Mini. Check insurance prices before you make your decision too though. Cough cough hint hint.

AL

Old 10-07-2005, 04:50 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

I haven't figured out the Mini-Cooper popularity that has blossomed in the US.
In Europe, they were low end, cheap cars.
In the US, the are overpriced cheap cars.
Go figure.

Old 10-07-2005, 05:04 AM
Banned
Default Can't Object

Do an advanced search and you will find at least one thread of me wishing for a hybrid Mini Cooper, so I can't knock you on getting one. I'd recommend regular oil changes is it's going to be reved up a lot.

There has been speculation of the future of the Insight. There will be a 2006 model. There was the concept IMAS - also known as the "Insight II". I'd love for Honda to put out a next-generation Insight with Mini Cooper performance. I'm sure they could do it. Offer a four-cylinder engine that drops to two cylinders at cruising and a larger IMA. Better performance and economy.

Old 10-07-2005, 06:58 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I'm biased... I just picked up the 05 MCS last month. So I have the best of both worlds.

Last edited by livvie; 10-07-2005 at 07:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Mini Cooper S or Insight?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands