Mini Cooper S or Insight?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 07:30 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Mini Cooper S or Insight?

In my family we have both the MCS and the Insight. THe MCS is slicker and quicker and speedier and way cool to drive and ride in but (MY) Insight gets WAY better mileage and I think, IMHO, that the Insight is so much cooler, partly because of the way it looks, but definitely because of the mpg. (However my partner, of course, would disagree!)

Old 10-07-2005, 08:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

The MINI Cooper S is a fantastic car!
Here is a collage of images from my former beloved Celeste:

I switched from the MCS to my Prius 'Elettra' for a numer or reasons:
My MCS had some quality issues, but I would guess that MINI has sorted all those out.
In 2 years - 40k mi,, I had about $8k of warranty work done: new speedo, window winder motors, steering column, tranny throwout bearing...
I didn't want to get stuck with that after the warranty expired, so I decided to sell. Then the question was: another MCS or the Prius? If the MINI One Diesel had been available in the US, I would have considered that as well.
Well, I decided I should be good and get a frugal (gas) car.
The cost of both was about the same to me.
MILEAGE:
here's an important consideration:
though the MCS is listed as 25 city 32 Hwy, I never got close to that. Initially I managed to average 28 mpg, but later that dropped to 26, then 25, then 24. Why? Because the car was so much fun to drive! That was the problem for me, it enticed me to drive it like I stole it, and I burned lots of gas. I had it at the racetrack a few times and managed 8 mpg! I am convinced that half the difference in mileage between the MCS and the Prius II is the driving style: for the MINI it is very spirited, for the Prius it is granny style. This is also a safety consderation for me. The MINI was probably a safer car, because the handling was so much better, and I don't even want to think about evasive maneuver handling in the Prius: just don't! However, in teh long run I think for me personally teh Prius will be safer because I drive so much more sedately and non-agressively, and I am glad for that!
Now I am close to averaging 50 mpg in the Pirus, vs the say 25 in the MCS: twice as much! Do I love the Pirus? I love it and feel good about driving it. Do I miss the MINI: you bet I do!
They are both great cars, and surprisingly the MINI had more front room than the Prius, and much, much better seats, and an infinitely better stereo (the Harman Kardon, well worth the $500), but the suspension was so stiff that my wife did not like riding in it very much.
Cheers,
M

Last edited by MGBGT; 10-07-2005 at 08:48 AM.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:51 AM
Enthusiast

You're 19 years old. Do you really NEED a new car? What are you currently driving?

Old 10-07-2005, 12:18 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

No one *needs* a new car -- with all due respect. Perhaps the OP can answer this question: Are high-heels or sandals getting into the car ?

People love their mini-coopers, although they have severe reliability problems. Different priorities for different people.

Old 10-07-2005, 12:24 PM
Banned

One would have thought BMW would have upgraded the reliablity...

Old 10-07-2005, 01:42 PM

Are you guys pulling stuff out of thin air about the MINI? It's fine on reliability. I mean I've done my research on the car and with the exception of a few cars it's been solid.

Old 10-07-2005, 02:10 PM
Enthusiast

We've had a 2005 MINI Cooper S for 8 months and 13,500 miles. Reliability may have been a concern with the early production years, but they definitely have the bugs worked out. Most telling fact about our MINI--when we had both it and a 330i, the 330i spent a lot more time sitting in the driveway. Also, they may be fairly common now, but that just means there are a lot more MINIs to honk and flash your lights at!

Old 10-07-2005, 07:03 PM
Banned
Angry Plans for a Mini Cooper SUV

BMW has exibited a concept Mini Cooper SUV. This is absurd on several levels. Does BMW (as in Big Money Waster) want the same profitablility Ford and GM currently "enjoy"? This is more assine than the H3 downsized Hummer. Just picture it - a Mini Cooper SUV with rhino guards, splashguards, jacked up wheels, and an array of lights on top. This is automotive cross-dressing.

If this succeeds, maybe there will be an Insight SUV.

CNN Story

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 10-08-2005 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:34 PM

This reminds me of the Hollywood approach to a good idea: Beat it until it dies.

Welcome to the nexus of greed, marketing idiocy, and loss of creativity.

Old 10-07-2005, 09:26 PM
G.H. Contributor
Post Re: Mini Cooper S or Insight?

Hey big guy if I was 19 YRS. Old I would not have to ponder/think about this more than say a (Second) Go-Mini S and have fun I have driven them many times as well as the Honda Insights and again if I was 19, GO-MINI S and don't look back;

Have Fun My Young Friend/Enjoy !!!!!

LOL (Lots-Of-Laughts)

Terry

Quick Reply: Mini Cooper S or Insight?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands