Mini Cooper S or Insight?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 12:01 PM
Ohio BIODZL Driver
Default Re: Mini Cooper S or Insight?

The Mini Cooper S is a fun and cool car ... if a 20 year old can afford one and is excited as you seem about one, then I think the choice is made. Frankly IMHO you are not comparing apples to apples. Both have their own 'cool' factor and 'fun' factor. I know several 'geeks' that love to squeak miles out of a gallon of gas. Of course when I was 20, buzzing around in a tweaked up sport/economy box was about all I could justify.

Personally I'd recommend looking at option 3. VW TDIs offer a safe sporty functional car, yet are a blast with performance tweaks and still deliver 45 mpg. There are unbelieveable groups (nuts!) like the those associated with the TDIClub.com that can almost eliminated a need for a dealership. With these little diesels you can monkey around with alternative fuels like biodiesel or WVO conversions and stretch your fuel dollars even further while all the while enjoying the uniqueness everytime people start talking cars. Before you buy, see if there is a TDICluber near you and have him/her 'brag' a little and take you for a test drive. Most are impressed as there really isn't much of a compromise with economy/performance/comfort. Longevity of the little diesels and retail values are strong too.

Old 10-09-2005, 02:57 PM
Enthusiast

Yes I too love the Mini and almost bought one a year ago but after finding out it takes Premium gas I decided that I'm not willing to pay 20cents/gal more for that fun. If I didn't have a 45 mile/day commute (one way) then I wouldn't care as much. I decided to buy an Insight instead and though I do miss the fun/fast power of my last little sports car (Toyota MR2), for now I'm content to save $$ on gas. If I ever live closer to work, then I'd probably buy something else - like Nissan 350Z or Mini, something fun, I hate practical!

Deb

Old 10-09-2005, 04:25 PM
G.H. Contributor
Angry Re: Mini Cooper S or Insight?

Originally Posted by debdeb
Yes I too love the Mini and almost bought one a year ago but after finding out it takes Premium gas I decided that I'm not willing to pay 20cents/gal more for that fun. If I didn't have a 45 mile/day commute (one way) then I wouldn't care as much. I decided to buy an Insight instead and though I do miss the fun/fast power of my last little sports car (Toyota MR2), for now I'm content to save $$ on gas. If I ever live closer to work, then I'd probably buy something else - like Nissan 350Z or Mini, something fun, I hate practical!

Deb
Hi debdeb; Good-Point, gas here is still $3.199 for 93 Octane.
Nashville Tn. and it's not looking good for it going down any time soon.

Terry

Old 10-10-2005, 03:56 PM
Dreamer

Before you buy, check out the Mini Cooper's emissions here:

http://www.epa.gov/autoemissions/smcar-05.htm

The CVT Insight is one of the best, the Mini Cooper is on of the worst. Alas, the 5-speed Insight is almost as bad as the MCS. That seems very hard for me to believe, given Honda's general track record on the environment and hybrid's low emissions in general.

Something to consider, anyhow...

-Mary Jane