My 2006 insight is down

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 10:41 PM
Enthusiast
Unhappy My 2006 insight is down

Started with the engine sounding like crap and the IMA being down.

Something majorly went wrong with my car, the dealership is not quite sure what it is yet, but need special equipment sent to disassemble the transmission. Apparently, this is the 2nd 2006 Insight with the same exact problem- IMA down under 3k miles on the odometer. The other insight with the same issue is in NY, according to American Honda. They need to get into the sensors in the transmission before they can further disagnose the issue, according to American Honda. Hence- the special equipment, since the tranny in insights have a strong magnet that requires special tool from Japan.

I'm looking at 2-3 weeks for the repair, possibly longer. They need to wait for the special equipment from American Honda, then diagnose, wait for parts, etc. The manager said he was hoping to get the car back ASAP, but couldn't guarantee a time frame. Thankfully, I will be getting a free rental out of this. I hope this is not a lemon... I miss my insight!

I don't have much details yet, but there are 6 codes, all IMA related. I'll be getting the exact codes...

I'll put more info down as I see it.

Old 06-17-2006, 08:37 AM
Banned
Default Re: My 2006 insight is down

cattygurl,

I'm sorry you are going thru this.

The silver lining is you definitely have warranty protection - keep it documented.

I would not be suprized if they replace the entire IMA unit to make sure it's resolved.

After all, they don't want to scare away people from hybrids....

Old 06-18-2006, 06:05 AM
Enthusiast

I sympathize with that catty. I bought a used insight (05 low miles) and its been in the shop about 50% of the time. My HCH ~20k miles has run beautifully since the day I drove it off the lot with only maintenance having been performed.

Nonetheless, your problem is like a 1/10,000 shot.

Old 06-19-2006, 08:19 AM
Just getting rolling ...

Did they give you a gas card to go with your rental?

Old 06-19-2006, 12:02 PM
Enthusiast

Sorry to hear about your trouble - I know I would be devastated. We'll hope for an early return and trouble-free miles for the future for you. John

Old 06-22-2006, 06:58 PM
now Insight, had an HCH

Update Yet?

Old 06-27-2006, 01:56 PM
Enthusiast

Okay - my car is back, finally! And I'm going to post what went down with the vehicle. I was pissed off that the tow truck guy left grease handprints over the upholstery and scratched the bumper. Mad I'm dealing with the owner to get my bumper repainted and pay me for the $$$ I paid to clean my upholstery.

Sigh.

Okay, here's the detail of what went wrong:

Initial fail code: P1644/P1600 IMA MOTFA Signal Failure/IMA System Malfunction

Replaced MCM Control Module, cleared code and tested. Recoded with code P1565. Motor Commutation Signal problem. Found weak signal from motor commutation sensors located in engine. Removed transmission to replace 3 sensors, cleared codes, operation as normal. Due to signal failure, vehicle was unable to recharge IMA batteries which caused the IMA failure.

My car does drive fine, but I hear a high pitched whirring (almost like a belt running) noise when the engine shuts off as I'm coming to a stop. also, the engine shuts off @ 10mph, rather than after a complete stop. Is this normal? Thanks!

Old 06-27-2006, 02:39 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

If I remember this thread correctly, you really didn't have much time in your Insight before things started going south.

The high pitched whirring is probably your electric motor. Smarter folks than me can explain what it's doing, but that's the only sound my hybrid makes when its ICE turns off at a stop or low speeds.

If the Insight is at all like the FEH, the having the ICE go off at 10mph is also perfectly normal and desirable. Delta Flyer or one of the other Insight folks here can provide better feedback, but I'd say your Insight may finally be behaving like an honest-to-goodness healthy hybrid now!

Old 06-27-2006, 02:52 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Congratulations on getting your Insight back!

I'm pretty sure the "whirring" noise is the electric motor aiding your stop by "regen" (ie: charging the IMA battery). My TCH makes a high pitched whirring noise when I brake and the ICE usually stops if under 43mph when costing or braking.

Last edited by nash; 06-27-2006 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:53 PM
Enthusiast

Yup, my car was almost new. The odometer was around 2700 miles, I belive, when my IMA went down. Hopefully, this fix was a one-time deal, and I'll have a car that will last me a long, long time.

Man, this car has been an ordeal- from the dealer messing with me, the tow truck messing things up- to the IMA going down. I've gotta say though, that it's been worth it. I got 82.5mpg last night when I went out to eat.

Last edited by cattygurl; 06-27-2006 at 05:55 PM.

Quick Reply: My 2006 insight is down

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands