New IMA Battery!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 09:39 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: New IMA Battery!

Originally Posted by rigger
How many miles are on yours Sonja? I'm at 63,000 now, still crossing my fingers that little sucker will throw a light soon. RECALS are nearly a daily occurance now and the weather isn't even hot. I'm guessing it'll bite the dust this summer. Can't wait to breathe new life into my car.

I have a RECAL about every 150-200 miles.
My 2000 Insight was recalibrating at the most inopportune times (waiting to turn left, hitting the gas, and finding I had *no* power!). So I finally made up my mind to kill it once and for all. I used the high gears all the way to work and back, keeping the battery flat as a board, and after 30 miles, presto! The IMA light went on, vindicating me to the dealer finally and getting them to admit there was a problem with the battery. After 3 weeks in the shop, the battery was replaced (no loaner, though). This was at 65K miles. Do this at your own risk, YMMV. AZ is murder on the batteries in the summer!

Old 01-11-2006, 02:44 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have a question for you folks who have had replacement:

If there were no IMA light or any other gauge/indicator in your car to indicate trouble/condition would you notice a difference in daily driving?
If so, what are the differences?

Old 01-11-2006, 06:36 PM
now Insight, had an HCH

I may end up doing that without trying as my battery level stays low when I keep above 70 mph lately. She may finally be dying. Florida is pretty bad too.

Hot Georgia, You can feel the power difference without IMA. The car really is a slug without it. You'd know if your IMA is out, even more so with the A/C on.

Originally Posted by BillR
My 2000 Insight was recalibrating at the most inopportune times (waiting to turn left, hitting the gas, and finding I had *no* power!). So I finally made up my mind to kill it once and for all. I used the high gears all the way to work and back, keeping the battery flat as a board, and after 30 miles, presto! The IMA light went on, vindicating me to the dealer finally and getting them to admit there was a problem with the battery. After 3 weeks in the shop, the battery was replaced (no loaner, though). This was at 65K miles. Do this at your own risk, YMMV. AZ is murder on the batteries in the summer!

Old 01-12-2006, 01:31 PM
Enthusiast

Try disconnecting the 12 volt battery for 20 minutes. When you reconnect it and start your engine, it will recal as usual, but IMA light will go out. I have 187,000 miles on my insight, sometimes my battery recals 2 or three times in a day, when the IMA light comes on, I'll disconnect 12v Battery, after recal I've driven over a month befor it recals again. I've been doing this for over a year now, about 30,000 mi.

Old 01-13-2006, 09:47 AM
Enthusiast

I noticed no difference in my driving - as long as my battery gauge was at 'full'. Of course, when it recal-ed then the car was sluggish until the battery charged back up. But the rest of the time there was no difference. That was why I was so surprised when my IMA light came on - I really wasn't expecting it!

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004
I have a question for you folks who have had replacement:

If there were no IMA light or any other gauge/indicator in your car to indicate trouble/condition would you notice a difference in daily driving?
If so, what are the differences?

Old 01-13-2006, 01:03 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The reason I ask is that I hope to drive mine for +350K miles.
So..what I understand the car is still very much drivable but with reduced performance and lower econonomy?

Old 01-13-2006, 03:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

My 2002 gave me the light on Dec 10th. I'm still waiting for the new battery. I called Honda's main number and did what I could to get it hurried along, but I'm not holding my breath at this point.

Old 02-06-2006, 06:40 PM
Banned
Unhappy Again

Tuesday I'll know if I've got IMA battery problems too.

At 93,693 miles, the check light and IMA light activated. Battery charge is still at it's maximum point, but autostop is not working. The assist/charge bars are not displaying either.

The acceleration seems better than during a recal - something I have not experienced for at least a couple of months. I'm trying to remember the last time I had a recal.

The operation seems almost normal with fuel economy about the same as usual. I want to believe the IMA is OK, but it's probably got a problem.

Old 02-07-2006, 07:53 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Again

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
Tuesday I'll know if I've got IMA battery problems too.

At 93,693 miles, the check light and IMA light activated. Battery charge is still at it's maximum point, but autostop is not working. The assist/charge bars are not displaying either.
This is pretty much what happened to me. Charge was at maximum but autostop/assist did not work.

I'm still waiting for word on my new battery. Supposedly it has been ordered from Japan but I've had no word. It has now been four weeks in my slug/gas guzzler of a rental.

Old 02-07-2006, 08:12 AM
Banned

It's in the shop and this afternoon, I'll probably get the diagonosis....

My hope is I can drive it while the battery is on order and Honda will help on the bill. Even better would be the battery is actually OK.

Quick Reply: New IMA Battery!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands