Please list mpg on insight

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 12:08 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Please list mpg on insight

Its has been a little while since the 2010 Insight was available and some of our members have purchased one.

I would like to know what the current MPG's they are getting and if the MPG dash display is accurate. The reason why is that the 2010 Prius was off 6 MPG when it was test driven at cleanmpg.com by Wayne Gerdes.

When I drove my ex-girlfriends 2006 Civic Hybrid I noticed that the MPG dash display was off about 1.5 MPG, meaning if the actual calculation based on miles and gallons consumed was say, 50 mpg, the dash display would read either 48 or 49 mpg consistently. So, you were actually getting more MPG than the dash display was showing, unlike the Prius.

I am up in the air in the vehicle I would like to get this year, there is only three on my list, 2009 Civic Hybrid, 2010 Insight, and the 2010 Toyota Prius. I was thinking about the VW Jetta TDI 2009 but the price of diesel fuel can very in price from equal with regular gas to almost a dollar more per gallon that regular unleaded gas.

Thanks
Al

Old 04-15-2009, 04:04 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Please list mpg on insight

I am up to 46.2 mpg

Old 04-15-2009, 04:48 PM
Enthusiast

I just got my second fill up and I got 37.25 mpg on my first full tank, 100% city driving. Most of my trips are 7-20 minutes in length and lots of stop and go situations. I hope it improves some. I've had it on Econ mode the whole time. I think I read in the manual that it improves after 4-5 fill ups.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:21 PM

Busted my 1K mile cherry today. I'm halfway through my third tank.

1st tank - Right off the lot, tank almost full I got 400 miles on the nose before I refilled.
2nd tank - A little better about 425 miles on 9.5 gal.
3rd tank is looking better yet - Almost 250 miles so far. The trip meter is at 247 and the gas gauge is almost exactly halfway. Looks like I'm on track for a 500 mile tank.

Name:  IMAG0026a.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  17.4 KB<br>

Name:  IMAG0027a.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  17.4 KB

500/9.5 = 52.6. If anything it looks likes the estimated MPG are a little low. My '03 HCH was always a little high. It looks like Honda erred on the side of caution this time.

Last edited by mrkcohen; 04-15-2009 at 06:32 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:26 PM
Enthusiast

mrkcohen

What are your percentages more or less with city and highway driving?

Old 04-15-2009, 07:01 PM

What are your percentages more or less with city and highway driving?
With these three tanks I would guess about 25% city, 25% 65MPH interstate and the rest 55MPH rural, two lane state roads.

It definitely likes the 55MPH roads the best!

Old 04-15-2009, 07:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks guys for the great feedback. Please keep us updated.

Al

Old 04-16-2009, 10:13 AM
Sales Guru/CarDeal Mentor

Originally Posted by mrkcohen

500/9.5 = 52.6. If anything it looks likes the estimated MPG are a little low. My '03 HCH was always a little high. It looks like Honda erred on the side of caution this time.

It wasnt Honda...the EPA Estimates were judged by software rather than actual driving of the vehicle....therefore the EPA estimates dont take into account the Econ mode being used.

Good to see that you are beating the estimates by a pretty wide margin...so far...most New Insight owners are....and thats definitely good for Honda.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:44 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CBondHonda
Good to see that you are beating the estimates by a pretty wide margin...so far...most New Insight owners are...
I believe the Insight is capable of great MPG, but the early mileage accounts posted in various forums are all over the map, and should not be characterized as beating EPA estimates by a wide margin. A significant number of posts are reporting high-30s to mid-40s tank calculations, and there are a few into the mid-50s. I'll be the first to celebrate its great mileage, but it's too soon to say most owners are beating EPA numbers by a wide margin.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:53 AM
Sales Guru/CarDeal Mentor

Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro
I believe the Insight is capable of great MPG, but the early mileage accounts posted in various forums are all over the map, and should not be characterized as beating EPA estimates by a wide margin. A significant number of posts are reporting high-30s to mid-40s tank calculations, and there are a few into the mid-50s. I'll be the first to celebrate its great mileage, but it's too soon to say most owners are beating EPA numbers by a wide margin.

LOL

Such negativity....guess you will be the Half empty to my half full on this site huh?

It will definitely take some time...however I think that if someone is properly trained to drive the insight as designed...and follows the instructions and Econ system on getting the best MPG's...then those averages will raise by even wider margins.

I only say that based on my personal experiences so far in driving the demo I have....and I don't drive it too much differently than I do my 08 Accord.

The way I drive my prelude however is a different story.....

Quick Reply: Please list mpg on insight

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands