Plug-in LiIon Battery Conversion for Insight

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 01:27 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Arrow Plug-in LiIon Battery Conversion for Insight

Over on Insight Central I started this thread.

http://www.insightcentral.net/commun...php?f=4&t=7964

In the ballpark of $6000 each, I can have a plug-in chargable Lithium battery made for the Insight. This battery would have at least 10 times the capability as the stock one.
And you can get part of your drive each day from the grid.
You could exceed 150 MPG each day.
To make the most of it, you would also need a manual controller called MIMA for $1000 extra. See also: http://www.99mpg.com/mima/

Not cheap, but definately cool! ( and very fun! )

Old 10-15-2008, 03:11 AM
MEAN TO BE GREEN ACTIVIST
Default Re: Plug-in LiIon Battery Conversion for Insight

I am a HCH II owner. I'm considering a new Insight. Is this the one you are talking about? ... Or is it the old Insight. What is the company that makes the battery & controller?
Thanks,

Old 10-15-2008, 08:23 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Since I have NG piped directly to my home before spending $6000 I would first consider converting the new Insight to CNG.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:40 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

John, you should post this info on cleanmpg.com and you may get more interest? H

Old 11-08-2008, 05:10 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Over on Insight Central I started this thread.

http://www.insightcentral.net/commun...php?f=4&t=7964

In the ballpark of $6000 each, I can have a plug-in chargable Lithium battery made for the Insight. This battery would have at least 10 times the capability as the stock one.
And you can get part of your drive each day from the grid.
You could exceed 150 MPG each day.
To make the most of it, you would also need a manual controller called MIMA for $1000 extra. See also: http://www.99mpg.com/mima/

Not cheap, but definately cool! ( and very fun! )
Technically interesting, but at 19 cents per kWh drawn off the grid, not economically compelling.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AirBoss
Technically interesting, but at 19 cents per kWh drawn off the grid, not economically compelling.
Wow, power is expensive where you are. I'm paying less than half that. I think the national average is about 10 cents per KWH.

Old 11-08-2008, 03:57 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Plug-in Hybrids are not meant to give an "economic advantage" over other cars. They are meant to give an 'environmental advantage'.

Nearly all compact cars are cheaper to own and operate than ANY hybrid car.
They are a "luxury item" just like any other expensive car.

Now, who wants to convert their Insight to run 50 miles a day from grid power? I need a few more partners to do a group buy to get the price under 10K each including charger and all controls. Once you have the ability to charge from the grid, you have the ability to drive from solar power, wind power, etc.

The battery prototype has 12 times the kWh as the stock pack, and will fit totally under the rear deck of the car, and will be "invisible" to the outside world... That is... unless you want to proudly display your plug!

Contact me personally to get on the "wait list".
The more people to join the group buy, the lower the price.
-John

Old 11-11-2008, 06:04 AM
Contributor ($)

I really wish I had the extra cash flow for this.
It sounds like a well done, professional unit.

A larger, plug-in-able battery would seem a perfect fit for the original Insight since it is so lightweight.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:03 AM
Enthusiast

Li-ion Batteries - I have a 2000 Insight and would really like some better batteries. But I fly radio control helicopters and they used Lion batteries and if they are overcharged or charged too quickly, they EXPLODE violently.

Go to Youtube and search for 'li-ion battery explode' or similar search and watch them blow.

My R/C batteries put out a monumental amount of power but max. charge back at about 1/10th of the rate they discharge.

If a battery the size of an Insight requirement exploded, it would be like a charge of military C4.

If anyone knows more, please let me know, but I have overcharged a worn out old 8 volt, 850ma li-ion battery, mot muchbigger than your big thumb and it blew like a cherry bomb.

I do have 24 (actually more) 4.5ah, 6v PowerWheel batteries = 144 volts(maybe 50 pounds) that I got for a solar power project that I would love to install in the 2000 Insight. Anyone tried installing a parallel set of batteries? Anyone installed just a plain battery charger so that when you leave home, you are fully charged?

-- Batteries, I need batteries --

Old 01-21-2009, 10:24 AM
MEAN TO BE GREEN ACTIVIST

John,

What's the latest on the LI-ION battery packs? Any investors and progress?

Quick Reply: Plug-in LiIon Battery Conversion for Insight

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands