"Souping Up" The Current Insight

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 08:28 AM
Banned
Default "Souping Up" The Current Insight

There was so much more I could have done after-market to enhance my 1974 Civic than 2000 5-speed Insight.

On the 1974 Civic: I could have added:
  1. a vaccum gague
  2. a tachometer
  3. if one could be found, an after-market MPG computer instead of a vaccum gague
  4. electronic ignition
  5. Muffler bypass to improve fuel economy (I sound hypocritical after slamming "fart pipes" )
It woudl be harder to upgrade the Insight, but here it is:
  • Installing the MIMA
  • If it works, cryo-freeze the engine
  • After the catalitic converter, but before the muffler, have a bypass valve so on the highway a slight improvement in fuel economy could be realized.
  • This is controversial: put a fogger in the air intake (read: vapor injector) to improve fuel economy. Not a "set and forget" accessory.
  • Replacing the rear tires with narrower ones to reduce rolling resistance. Idealy, they would wear out at about the same rate as the front tires that have that bear more weight and propel the Insight.
  • Replacing the seats with a high-grade lawn-chair type of seat. It would allow for breathing to the extent fans could be attached to reduce the A/C load in the summer. Should be lighter, and it should be easy to make a seat more comfortable than the OEM Insight's!
  • An engine block heater (and one for the catalitic converter) to reduce winter warm-up time.
  • May be impractical - may be dreaming: replace the OEM IMA with the 2006 Civic's. It deliver's/generaters more power.
  • Have a remote that would go beyond locking and security. It would roll down window and put the fans on max (great in during Texas summers). It could turn anything on except engage the drive.
  • Been told this is not worth it: Add another batter pack for a possible plug-in capability. Coupled with MIMA, this might reduce gasoline consumption.
  • Need a electrical engineer for this one: upgrade the dashboard so data can be downloaded to PC - change defaults.
Many of these upgrades would probably work well on the Civic and Accord.

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 10-04-2005 at 07:28 AM.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:29 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: "Souping Up" The Current Insight

How about cruise control that could be set according to a number on the FCD, but have a minimum speed low setpoint also?

And an automatic warm-air intake setup.

Seal up half of the grill opening, but have it removable for people in really hot climates.

And the thermos bottle setup (like the Prius) to keep the engine coolant warm.

And a nav system would be nice.

Regards,

Old 10-02-2005, 05:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hawkGT647
....Seal up half of the grill opening, but have it removable for people in really hot climates...
Very practical

I have heard of a number of Insight drivers try this - how could I've forgotten?

Old 10-04-2005, 07:19 AM
Enthusiast

Hi Delta Flyer
The correct name is MIMA (Manual Integrated Motor Assist)
Don
While we are wishing:
A nav system with topographical output, tied into the MIMA system for electric priority cruise control, with look ahead topo awareness, and tuned for maximum MPG, by self tuning artifical intellegence software.

Old 10-04-2005, 07:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MD2000
Hi Delta Flyer
The correct name is MIMA (Manual Integrated Motor Assist)
Don
While we are wishing:
A nav system with topographical output, tied into the MIMA system for electric priority cruise control, with look ahead topo awareness, and tuned for maximum MPG, by self tuning artifical intellegence software.
Typo correction made!

Old 10-04-2005, 05:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

d@mn, mike! that nav/topo/mima idea is fabulous! but i'm still working on the plain-jane MIMA angle.

andy g.

Old 10-11-2005, 06:48 AM
Enthusiast

I just found out that Toyota has filed for a patent on the GPS modulated hybrid drive controller, so we may be seeing this type of smart control on toyotas in the near future.
See the first comment on the EV World MIMA article
http://www.evworld.com/view.cfm?sect...le&storyid=908

Old 11-02-2005, 05:01 PM
Enthusiast

The new MIMA circuit boards have arrived.
If you want one, contact me at:
genesis1@snet.net

Old 12-05-2005, 05:37 PM
Enthusiastic Pwnerer

Hi,

I am a motorsports enthusiast. I was wondering if any body kits or aero parts have come out for the Insight. I know its already engineered to be aerodynamic in shape but I looked on Google and I tried eBay Motors but nothing is coming up. Don't get the wrong idea, I like the way the Insight looks already I just want to enhance it and maybe add a little bit off flavor.
Thx again
~jack4ss

Old 12-05-2005, 06:39 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Yuser:

___Personally, I think Billy6’s Insight is the best looking of the bunch …

___Than again, I would like to drive this Prius II as my daily driver as well

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Quick Reply: "Souping Up" The Current Insight

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands