Thank you Honda

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 01:49 PM
Enthusiast
Smile Thank you Honda

When Insight '00 #1679 main battery bit the dust at 178,000 miles, I had a backup from a wreck that I had been charging these last few years. The spare however failed after a few weeks . I am told by the guy that rebuilds these that others who got batteries out of wrecks had the same experience - if a battery sits for a few years in a salvage yard it deteriorates, indeed if it sits in a car unused for a few years the same thing happens. I called the 800 number to get a price on putting in a new battery and was given a price of $2569 for the battery and told that I should contact Honda customer relations regarding this because they had been very helpful for others . I did so and started a process going . I met with the local dealer ( Lorenz Honda in Greenfield Mass - who BTW have always been great to work with both buying and servicing my Honda's) , who told me the battery price would be $3200 with shipping and markup, and that I would also need a new BCM and MCM for an additional $2300, but I should wait and let the Customer rep deal with American Honda CR dept. I was afraid that the replacement was going to be $5500 plus labor , but I so love this car ( it still never goes below 70 mpg, has a sunroof I put in, and nice stereo) that I wanted to keep it anyway. The salesman could not get a new '06 to sell me either. To My happy surprise Honda paid for everything under warranty !! The parts came to $5600, the labor was $190 which I gladly paid for. The car runs like new - I hope to put another 180,000 on it . When I bought this car I knew I was buying a radically new concept car, and that there would probably be bugs of some kind. But I have had such great service from my many previous Honda's and always had such good support from Honda that I went ahead, and became as they call it " an early adopter". They really came thru. Thank you Honda. Ted