whos getting the insight 2 tomorrow?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 01:13 PM
Enthusiast
Talking Re: whos getting the insight 2 tomorrow?

Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro
We don't have parkas here in San Diego. But I would think you'd actually sit HIGHER when wearing one, therefore resolving the low-to-the-ground issue. Heck, I might even wear two!
Wearing a parka in upstate New York is like wearing an inner tube behind the steering wheel in San Diego! (Plus one on your butt!) I guess I can have the Shipping Department guys pry me out each morning!

Old 05-11-2009, 05:01 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: whos getting the insight 2 tomorrow?

Does anyone here remember the good old days when you could come to this site and find out what people with a new hybrid were actually averaging in real life?

I really wish the powers that be would update the database feature on this site so we could start seeing what people are really getting in this thing in real life driving conditions... if anyone still contributes to it anymore. Did everyone migrate to cleanmpg.com ?

Though, if I were a betting man, I'd say the new Prius is going to rock the Insight in MPG, despite the Insight's incredible sales in Japan. I'm also really curious what the HS250h will be getting mpg-wise. I just have a feeling that the competition will be closer than the EPA numbers indicate.

As for me, I think I'm stuck in my '04 HCH I until my Fisker Karma plug-in gets delivered next year.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:51 PM
Enthusiast

I'm on this site and also myHybridCar.com. I have posted MPG on both sites. I only have 3 tank fulls so far on the 2010 Insight and my average is over 51 MPG's. One trip was over 60 MPG's and I had one trip that was down to 48 MPG's. The 48 MPG was in a stiff head wind this past weekend. The 60 MPG I did not go over 55 and was on a road that went from 55 down to 45 in section. I was also lucky in hitting every green light. I'm well over the EPA of 41 MPG's.
Everyone should start buying Hybrid's. Does not matter what kind Prius or Insight or any other brand. We have to start using less oil. That's my 2 cent's worth.
This is my Second Hybrid. I had a 2003 Honda Civic and my average was 47 MPG's. I put over 132000 miles on the car and it looked like new when I sold it. The Best I got was 55 MPG's and the worst was 37 MPG's but that was with a car rack with a thule luggage trunk on top.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:02 PM

I've had my '10 Insight for a month now. I've already clocked a little over 3500 miles.

My MPG's are creeping up as I get used to the car, especially the CVT. The old HCH1 is a standard.

My best tank so far was 53.3MPG over about 460 miles. The last 3 or 4 have averaged over 50MPG.

My Trip B meter hasn't been reset and it's at 49.1MPG over 3500 miles.

I've found the estimated MPG are about 5% higher vs. the calculated numbers, so I'm averaging about 46.6MPG overall with a best tank so far of about 50.6MPG.

A couple rather large points about the car/mileage:

- I have been staying off the interstates as much as possible. Maybe it'll get a little better as she breaks in more, and after I switch to synthetic oil, but right now I can't get better than 46-47MPG over any real distance at 65-68 MPH. Most (80%) of my current 3500 miles were on 55 MPH speed limit two lane state roads.

- I have also changed my driving routes to avoid the steepest/longest of the hills.

Now don't get me wrong, I really love this car. And I am beating the (more realistic) EPA estimates by a significant margin, and of course 50MPG isn't anything to sneeze at, but I'm pretty sure if I put 10 gallons of gas in the empty tanks of both my '03 HCH1 (degraded battery pack, IMA/CEL on solid) and my '10 HIH2, I would get quite a bit further with the Civic.

And I gotta believe both the HCH2 and Prius would really kick it's ***.

I'm not an engineer, but I think it's the little baby battery pack...

Old 05-11-2009, 06:26 PM
Enthusiast

All of my MPG's have been from miles driven to gallons put in the tank. The car has been showing less MPG for me. Yesterday I filled up and the MID said I had 48.3 MPG's. I went 258.4 miles and I put 5.1 gallons of gas in that is 50.6 MPG's. It looks like my car is showing less MPG's than I'm actually getting. I only have a little over a thousand miles on this car. I don't do any Hyper Miling but I did bring the tires up to 37 pounds. My tires have a cold pressure of 44 max. It does ride a little stiffer. Good luck in getting the MPG's up. I'm trying everyday but everyonce in a while I use my paddle shifter's and go thru the gears. Only from a stop light up to the speed limit.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:06 AM
Enthusiast

At the risk of sounding like a heretic here, I hope the 2010 Prius does beat the HIH2 in mpg. Competition is good for everybody and Honda has a long track record of stepping up to the plate when challenged.

If I have one complaint about my Insight, it's that it feels a little "twitchy" at highway speeds. Just doesn't feel as solid on the road as my 06 Civic Coupe did. I'm assuming it's due to the narrower LRR tires.

I really think the next 5 years are going to be an exciting time with all the new vehicles due to be released.