Why did you buy your hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 12:01 PM
Enthusiast
Default Why did you buy your hybrid?

Hello. I'm curious to hear the reasoning behind your purchase of the Honda Insight or any other hybrid vehicle. Was it the better gas mileage? Concern for the environment? Both? Are you overall pleased with the performance? Do you feel you've sacrificed performance for better gas mileage? I'm a newbie (obviously) so I'm not certain if this topic's been beaten to death already. If so, I apologize in advance.

Old 06-06-2005, 12:12 PM
Default Re: Why did you buy your hybrid?

I got a HCH because it was a good car. Mileage was a Plus, but its just a nice car. It has better lower end accleration than a regular civic and only loses out at the high end. Plenty fast for me.

Old 06-06-2005, 01:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

My main reason for buying my HCH was the gas mileage and the possibility of passing this down to our 13 year old daughter some time later. I would have liked to have bought an Accord, but I think it would be easier for her to learn in a smaller car first. If we want her to drive a large car, she can drive the Odyssesy.

Billy

Last edited by billyt1963; 06-06-2005 at 06:15 PM. Reason: grammar corrections
Old 06-06-2005, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

No need to apologize, we love talking about our babies. For me saving gas is a big one with pollution second. The technology is really cool so the car is a bit of a toy you play the mileage game with. Depending on your point of view, hybrids are cool! The HCH goes as fast as it needs too. My family had a VW diesel years ago that got great mileage but it was underpowered to the point of being dangerous for sure. Not so with the hybrids, depending on just how much power you need. Except for the Accord they are not peppy. They are bad slow compaired to a Vette but so is most every other car on the road. I'm very happy with mine so far.

Old 06-06-2005, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Speaking of pollution, I'd love to have a California car. IMO lean burn is not worth the pollution it causes.

Old 06-06-2005, 03:02 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I like the technology that's built into the cars, the fuel savings and the "green factor".

Almost bought a Prius, could have bought the one I test drove. But in the end, I decided a 2 seater was all that was needed and it was the best MPG possible (with the 5-speed).
Just had to have patience, put a deposit on the Insight and then wait for it to come in. New Prius are available here, Insights are hard to come by.

Very satisfied with the Insight.

Regards,

Old 06-06-2005, 03:20 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Saving gas yes but also trying to reduce the need for imported oil. I also want to see new tech. advance. Seems hybrids are a good business plan GM. Kevin

Old 06-06-2005, 03:54 PM
Wannabe Hypermiler

My reasons for buying a Honda Civic Hybrid:

1. Making a small effort at reducing dependency on oil for a variety of environmental, economic, and social reasons (foreign and domestic).

2. Fuel economy- A hedge against future oil price spikes [temporary (terrorism) and possibly permanent (higher costs of extracting oil)].

3. Low emissions- Growing up and living in Southern California, I know how important it is to regulate emissions. I'm doing my part with the AT PZEV rating of my HCH.

4. Cost- My HCH was $5-10K less than the other cars I was considering (Acura TL, Audi A3, Honda Accord V6, Subaru WRX) and the maintenance requirements are less frequent (10K between oil changes). The $2,000 federal tax deduction is nice too. Gas fillups cost less.

5. Convenience- Fewer trips to the gas station than my previous car and with a smaller gas tank, less time spent when I actually have to fill up. Not the quickest car around, but it can navigate the streets of L.A. and orange county, CA as well as conventional cars - "no compromise."

6. Technology- Supporting the tecnhology I believe is a stopgap between internal combustion engines (ICE) and the next big thing (hydrogen, cold fusion [?!]). Helping push the auto industry away from the antiquated ICE via the market.

7. Stealth- Looks just like a normal Civic other than the "hybrid" badge, roof antenna, and odd looking wheels.

8. Looks- Yes, the HCH actually looks awesome with a Magnesium Metallic paintjob and a two tone grey/black interior. My mom actually thought I had a BMW 3 series sitting in my driveway the first time she saw it from behind. The LCD gauges and chrome like shifter base and gauge bezels are a nice touch too.

Old 06-17-2005, 08:47 AM
Enthusiast

My reasons were largely economic. I've wanted an insight since they first came out but was unwilling to spend $20k + for one. When they got to the point that the used selling price was less than the same year civic, I bought mine. Am I the only one that is amazed you can buy a used high tech honda with low miles for around $10k? Mine was a 2001 with 24,500 miles on it. I paid $10,500. The same year Civic LX would have cost me more. I get 60+ mpg consistently and it reminds me of the Datsun 240Z I had through High School...it's fun to drive.

I'm glad that it produces less polution and that it uses fewer resources as well, but that's not the main reason I bought it. My gas bill has been reduced $95 per month.

Old 06-17-2005, 09:47 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I try to be an early adopter of green tech; and in general, to walk the walk of my green talk

I am also pretty frugal, but after a year of my wife harping that her car was too old, the Prius laid that discussion to rest.

Quick Reply: Why did you buy your hybrid?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands