Why Would the car do this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 10:13 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Why Would the car do this?

I test drove a 2000 5-speed with 73,500 miles for sale at a local dealer.

During the test drive, the car would go AutoStop at stopsigns and stoplights... and the whole car would die... the engine would NOT restart without a key turn. I'm sure this is NOT normal even though I am new to Hondas. The dealer at first thought it was something I was doing wrong, so he drove it for 3 miles, and same thing, at every stop... the whole car would die and 3 or 4 red lights would come on. Turn the key, and everything re-started and lights went off.

The IMA battery was reading full, or 1 or 2 bars down from full the whole time. The dealer had just replaced the 12v battery and all 4 tires.

The dealer was asking $12,500 and it has new tires, new 12v, and 2.5 years or 150,000 miles on IMA battery warranty left. Looks great, and a very clean car. I almost signed to buy it, if not for the odd stalling.

On the highway at 55-65 MPH I would literally floor it in 5th and there was zero battery assist. The battery had all bars lit... so was reading "full".
Are you supposed to get battery assist when you floor it at highway speed? Temperature was 35-40 and the engine was hot. I'm used to my ford which always does assist, so this was odd to me.
The only time I saw battery assist was like in 3rd gear or lower and at 35 MPH or lower.

Whacha guys think? Why would it stall at EVERY stop? It was not cold or anything, and the car had been driven several miles prior.

Thanks. So should I steer clear of this car? Or let them check it out and "fix" it?

Dealer would give me 1month/1000 miles bumper to bumper if I buy.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:39 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Why Would the car do this?

I wonder if someone had installed a switch that cuts out the assist?or for theft? You should have got assist when you floored it. Something not acting like it should. Sounds like a good buy though ! H