Worst Case Hybrid Scenerio: Battery Failure

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 07:44 PM
my other car is a FJORD
Default Re: Worst Case Hybrid Scenerio: Battery Failure

Originally Posted by tbaleno
Heh. I can just imagine the poses you would be doing if you had the ram and were taking pictures.

took the words right out of my mouth

Old 02-09-2006, 10:04 AM
Active Enthusiast

How Ironic.

Delta Flyer (And I quote) "Read my last two posts, including the link to the IC thread. Just think: does xcel, myself, rigger, Insight owners here or at insightcentral.net have horror stories like Mr. hondasucks.ca? "

Last edited by Hondasucks; 02-09-2006 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:32 AM
Banned

With all due respect to the prior post, I went 93,693 miles with only a minor O2 sensor adjustment. Absoutely no other problems with my Insight. I'm sure he would want my problems over what he has experienced....

So when the Insight is out of the shop - what next? Never let the 12-volt battery go dead, avoid heavy use of the assist (which I've been doing over the past two years). The 2000 Insight is definitely the most reported model with battery failure, so it's likely the replacements will be better.

Only if a second battery failure happens before I get to 200,000 miles will my faith be shaken.

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 02-09-2006 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:49 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The minute Honda charges 6.4K for replacement... is the same minute all honda hybrid sales will stop. I know that's the "quoted" price but I would love to hear what it is going to cost for real. I'm still guessing that it's going to be considerably less.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that you got everything covered.

Old 02-09-2006, 07:52 PM
Banned

Again, I'll pay $450, plus the rental car at a reduced commercial rate. Hope to get an estmate of when the parts will come Friday.

Old 02-10-2006, 04:53 AM
Enthusiastically Active

Did you have to talk them into the $450 price, or did they offer it outright? That is a great deal! With regards to Mr. Hondasucks, $450 is not bad with almost 100k on it. I've owned various domestic products that had gone through numerous alternators, starters, heater cores, etc by 100k.

Old 02-10-2006, 05:37 AM
Banned

I did what most people would do - hesitate and say: "I've got to think about this". There was a discussion with the Service Manager then they offered me the deal.

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 02-10-2006 at 06:46 AM.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:58 AM
04 prius 350,000km

if they didn't offer you the deal i wonder what you've would have done? By the way how's the rio5 subcompact? And when you drive your insight do you shift with the computer or lets say if your in 4th and you have to climb a small incline. Would you upshift to 3rd (even though rpm difference is like 600 rpms lets say) or stay in 4th and let a little assist pull you up?

Old 02-13-2006, 06:25 AM
Banned

The day I was driving the Insight without the IMA working I basically hypermiled and just had to be more patient....

I have not computed the mpg in the Rio, but it's probably around 30mpg - not bad considering it has a automatic.

Old 02-16-2006, 07:40 AM
Banned
Thumbs up It's Back!

I got into work today after taking yesterday off and was pleasantly greeted on the voice mail that my Insight was ready to pick up!

Heard horror stories of waiting 1-2 months for a battery pack, so a 9-day turnaround is not bad.

I was driving a KIA Rio with an automatic for a rental. Did not get a chance to fill it up, but I went 131 miles on the last fillup and used as much as four gallons - nearly 33mpg. That's the EPA combined estimate.

It will be awhile to determine if there is any change in performance, but the three-mile trip back work seemed no different.

I paid $449 for the repair - Honda covered the remaining $6,000. I paid $343 for the rental.

My resolutions is to never let the 12-volt battery go dead (last time the hybrid battery pack went dead trying to save it). Also, don't plan to use the Assist for longer than 30 seconds - i.e. moderate use.

Quick Reply: Worst Case Hybrid Scenerio: Battery Failure

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands