Would you buy it again?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 07:49 PM
Java Geek
Default Would you buy it again?

I'm considering buying a 2006 Honda Insight. Doing some research before I comit to a dealer order.

I'm looking at a manual transmission (hate autos) model wiht AC.

Those of you who own an Insight and have for a while, would you buy it again?

Old 03-11-2006, 07:55 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Would you buy it again?

have had my 2000 MT insight for 9 months. would buy another in a heartbeat if this one croaked.

Old 03-11-2006, 08:00 PM
Banned

Absolutely!

Old 03-11-2006, 08:36 PM
Enthusiast

Yep! 2002 CVT with touring tires and Dynamat---the loss in lieage is worth it; the comfort in ride quality and noise reduction, and a center armrest.

Thanks all for the ongoing tips!

Richard S.

Old 03-11-2006, 08:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

No, i would never purchase one again

Old 03-11-2006, 08:58 PM
Java Geek

Originally Posted by Hondasucks
No, i would never purchase one again
Would you mind giving more information as to why?

Old 03-11-2006, 09:19 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kasia
Would you mind giving more information as to why?
Click on his signature.

Old 03-11-2006, 09:31 PM
Java Geek

Originally Posted by worthywads
Click on his signature.

Yah.. I used my brain and figured it out after a while..ouch.. sounds like a rough ride.

Old 03-12-2006, 10:24 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

In a heartbeat.

Right at a year of ownership, 74 LMPG & rising.

Great little car.

Old 03-12-2006, 11:08 AM
Banned
Default Detail of My Experience

kasia,

I bought my 2000 Insight September 7, 2000. Five and a half years later and nearly 95,000 miles later, I've had the best experience of the seven cars I've owned - four of them Hondas.

I'll admit to somewhat rough driving the first three years, yet only two significant problems have resulted. Had to pay $200 to fix the original O2 sensor (did not have to replace it) at 30,000 miles. I suspect a bit of a lead foot accounted for that.

At nearly 94,000 miles, my hybrid battery failed. Before you get concerned, be aware that this was the first year Honda sold hybrids in the U.S. They have changed the software regulating the battery charge in later Insights and other Hondas. Lute Riley in Richardson got the replacement battery pack and the two black boxes that prevent the charge from being too high or too low in nine days and absorbed all but the first $450 - more than fair. I have also had very good experiences at Bankston Honda in Lewisville, who stated the Insight is the most reliable Honda in the line. My lesson from this is never let your 12-volt battery go dead - it caused the hybrid battery pack to go dead too and shorten it's life. Armed with this knowledge, I expect my new battery pack to last at least 150,000 more miles - when I'm at 250,000 miles. If you check out various hybrid sites, Honda has absorbed at least most of the battery cost so far.

I had a 1988 CRX HF - essentially the Insight without a hybrid engine. At 100,000 miles, it was on at least it's third CV boot and about to need a new clutch. I've had no other problems other than the ones mentioned on my Insight. That CRX did a great job of lasting 250,000 miles, esp considering a tune up that nearly destroyed the engine four years before it bit the dust.

My lifetime mpg is 57.5, but over the last year it's about 70. Unless it's a very short drive, you have to work to get the mpg under 50mpg. I can only speculate, but my current driving and replacing the 12-volt battery every three years would have given me a trouble-free Insight. In general, my fuel economy is 20% than the CRX, but with much better 0-40mph acceleration.

Many others have discussed their good experiences on forum. I think you would too.

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 03-12-2006 at 11:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Would you buy it again?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands