This year's gas mileage better than last year's

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 08:27 AM
Contributor ($)

I just posted my latest tank of gas and noticed that this year, for my fill-ups in November, I got about 71.7 mpg. This is nearly 10 mpg better than last November!

You see, in November of last year I was getting good gas mileage (~60 mpg) and I drove my Insight without much thought. But shortly after last November I decided to become more focused.

I began driving a slightly different route that I thought would help my mileage. (It did.) I also added the “hot air mod”, increased my tire pressure, and began being more attentive to my driving style. I admit it is a slight bit warmer this year so the 10 mpg increase may be slightly higher than expected, but even if the increase were only 5 mpg I’d be impressed.

60 mpg was nice, but bumping it above that has been quite satisfying.

It is amazing what a little knowledge can do.

As a side note:
I notice that this time last year a gallon of gas cost me $1.57.
Today it is $1.97; a 25% increase. Wow.

Old 11-23-2004, 12:42 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Eric:

___Congratulations are indeed in order. You are still hypermiling in colder and colder temps which is a very good thing. Insight’s are pretty amazing vehicles, aren’t they

___Next year, you will have to pop off a 100 mpg segment. I don’t care if you have to wait until there is a 40 mph tailwind with a 38 mph tractor trailer to draft from Madison all the way to Naperville; I just want to see your post on the fateful day :blink:

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 11-25-2004, 02:39 AM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

arrgh! My record tank is going in the toilet due to a cold snap. Please tell more about warm air mods.

Old 11-25-2004, 08:50 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi LakeDude:

___You’re screwed! Did you see what I added in the Hybrid upload section this morning

___Don’t worry, your HCH will be broken in and you will have non-RFG winter blend when it turns warm next April. Next summer is when your 72 - 75 mpg - 1,000 mile tank will come about.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net