05 HCH battery: replace/recondition? Low usage affecting battery life?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 09:09 PM
ecs
Enthusiast
Question 05 HCH battery: replace/recondition? Low usage affecting battery life?

My HCH 05 IMA light came on back in Jan 2015, dealer quoted about $3500 to replace (unfortunately missed the mfr warranty period by several months at that time) so I got a second opinion from a local shop specializing in hybrids.

Ultimately had the local shop install a new cooling system and recondition my existing battery for ~$2600. Fast forward to May 2016 (i.e. 4 months out of warranty for the battery reconditioning work) and the IMA and engine lights come on again. Brought it back to the same local shop (did not get codes), they say I should overhaul the battery pack/recondition all over again (noting that the cooling system is still fine so won't need to touch that). Estimate for battery recondition is $2200 w/a 2-yr warranty bc "battery technology has improved" since the last time I was there.

After asking about my low mileage (< 77K mi), tech also says that hybrids need to be driven about 1000 mi/month to maintain battery performance, and he thinks my low usage is affecting my battery (I do only drive ~600 mi/mo avg).

My questions:

Is it generally accepted that low mileage can adversely affect battery life? Typically driving short distances in light city traffic, in a temperate/warm climate (Southern California).

Does $2200 sound like a fair price to recondition this battery?

Feeling a bit burned by potentially spending $4800 to maintain this battery in < 2 yrs, wondering if it makes more sense to invest in replacing the battery entirely (e.g., if a few months past the new 2 yr warranty, I get told I need to recondition again for $2,200 more)—do replacement batteries typically last a good deal longer than reconditioned ones?

Thanks for input.

Old 05-06-2016, 06:24 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 05 HCH battery: replace/recondition? Low usage affecting battery life?

I'm going to be blunt. Due to the IMA battery design, reconditioning is rarely a viable option for a long term solution. A year is a pretty good run for a recondition. You have been lied to. There have been no significant advances in NiMH technology for about 14 years (2003 HCH).

It's not so much the distance driven, it's the frequency. If your 600/month is at least 3-4 days per week and the trips 20+ miles average, you are probably okay. "Short trips" can be a killer. Zero or very little highway driving is problematic because a lot of low level background charging occurs.

The shop is taking advantage of you. Never use them again for anything and never steer anyone towards them. You have had much better options for much less for a few years. Had you bought a Bumblebee for less than what you paid to recondition, you wouldn't be posting on this forum.

You have two options:

1) Hybrid Automotive grid charger will likely help you nurse your battery along with full function with periodic charging. This tends to be very successful for a number of years, but it's not a certainty. Since this shop has already mucked about with it, I don't know what to expect. The price is around $400 for their reconditioning package. IF your driving profile is contributing to failure, this option is probably your best option as it compensates for self-discharge and helps maintain cell balance. There is an element of
2) A battery built by Bumblebee Batteries. They are about $2200 and come with a 3 year warranty. They are made with brand new cells made in China. Bumblebee has a very extensive incoming quality program to ensure the product they get is acceptable. They go to great lengths to build well-matched packs.

Both of the above assume YOU do the installs. If you're not a DIY-type, you'll need to pay to have them installed.

WHATEVER YOU DO, do NOT buy Honda. As of the 2013 Consumer Reports Survey, 30% of 2009 and 2010 Honda Civic Hybrid batteries were replaced. That's one out of three batteries replaced on cars 3-4 years old. Failure rate was so high, Honda extended all states to 10 year/150,000 mile warranty to try and restore some faith in the product/brand. I have no data it's gotten any better.

Full disclosure: As of 4/16, I am an authorized installer for HA grid chargers in the Phoenix area. This entitles me to a small discount on their products. I receive no payment from them of any kind. If you search my posts, you'll find I have recommend them for some time.

If you're anywhere near Covina, CA, it's worth giving Scott a call at Jue Motors:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/jue-motors-covina

While he specializes in Insights, he can certainly help you with your HCH as the systems are very similar, and he's very familiar with the more cost effective options.

Good luck,

Steve

Last edited by S Keith; 05-06-2016 at 06:27 AM.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:38 AM
ecs
Enthusiast
Default Re: 05 HCH battery: replace/recondition? Low usage affecting battery life?

Hi, Steve. Thanks for the prompt response, your candor, input and referral are all much appreciated. I had a very helpful chat with Scott at Jue Motors this morning so now am going to weigh all the options he provided.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:40 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

If Scott had anything supplemental or contradictory to what I said, I would appreciate the feedback.

Steve