06 Civic Hybrid - catalytic converter

Old 01-12-2012, 11:31 AM
Enthusiast
Default 06 Civic Hybrid - catalytic converter

I have a 06 civic hybrid and experience the check engine light coming on around 130,000 miles (2010)...Went to a dealer and they told me it was a computer software issue...they did the update and the light went off (i passed inspection)...they light came back on a few days later...the car was running fine but the light was on...after another 6 months with check engine light on I took it into a Honda Dealer (2011) and they said it was the catalytic converter and it needed to be replace. I did not get the work done and was able to get through inspection 6 months later after honda turned my check engine light off for another issue...at the dealer today running another test to see why the light is not going out? Since my hybrid is an '06 what will happen? Some advice if they say it's the catalytic converter? Thanks.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:02 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 06 Civic Hybrid - catalytic converter

Try changing the sensor! H

Old 09-22-2012, 01:41 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 06 Civic Hybrid - catalytic converter

I have a 2006 Civic Hybrid with 155,000 miles and had the check engine light on for about 6 months now. I had a parts dealer check the code and it came up with "catalyst below threshold." The parts employee said it could be the 1st or second converter or the oxygen sensor. All pretty pricey when he check his computer for the parts listings. I finally took it to a honest muffler shop in my hometown and they cleared the code. Then they put a quarter sized whole in the exhaust pipe before the 2nd catalytic converter and had me drive a few miles up a few steep hills to see if the light came back on. I noticed a little more power and the check engine light stayed off. They found a compatible catalytic converter and had it installed in about 20min for $125.00 + tax out the door. They told me if the 1st converter needed replaced it would cost more because it has expensive metals in it and it was harder to get to. Its been three days and the light is still off. Over all the car is running a little better and the annoying light is gone.

Side note: My local Honda dealer wouldn't even check to see what code the car was throwing unless I paid a $50.00 diagnostic fee. They lost my business there but it worked out in the end because I payed way less for an honest repair.