07 HCH Headrest uncomfortable

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 08:51 PM
Enthusiast
Default 07 HCH Headrest uncomfortable

Is the headrest on the 07's leaning too far forward or what?
Headrest is giving me neck pains.
Anyone else experiencing this same problem?

Old 11-03-2006, 10:10 PM
Energy Independence
Default Re: 07 HCH Headrest uncomfortable

Do a search on this site. This has been discussed ad nauseum.

The headrests are DESIGNED this way (more forward than traditional ones) to reduce whiplash injury in a rear-ender. Most people adjust their seat angle or height, or their seating posture, and find a comfort level they can live with.

Welcome to the club!

Old 11-09-2006, 11:09 AM
Evil Genius

I found the whole HCH06 seat experience the worst I’d ever sat it. Be it the headrest, or the pinching bucket seats or the lumbar (or total lack of). I was okay for the first month and then as the seat wore in, I found my back would be killing me even on short journeys. I was seriously thinking of trading it in for anything else as I was in that much pain every time I drove. I then got a lower lumbar support pillow, and while I could walk after a car journey, I wouldn’t call it nice/comfortable.

Just for the record here, I am 6ft2, 230lbs, large build (36" waist). yes I could do with losing 15-20lbs but I'm not what I'd call odd shaped. I fit in other cars perfectly well and as I travel a lot, I use a lot of rentals with none of these back problems.

In the end, I took it to an upholsterer. He added 1” of foam to the middle of the seat all the way up on the drivers’ side seat. He said he couldn’t do this on the passengers’ side for some reason… I forget. Anyway, seat is now night and day to what it was. It’s as comfortable as my wifes ford (you can sit in it okay for a couple of hours, but you wouldn’t say it feels luxury) and bringing me slightly forward in the seat makes the headrest also comfortable (and still offers some whiplash protection compared to removing the headrest or turning it the other way). Before anyone says, it doesn’t interfere with the airbag system apart from the weight of 1” of foam (you wouldn’t know I’d had it done to the car unless you were looking for it).

Hope this is of some use

Old 11-09-2006, 11:30 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mr_132
In the end, I took it to an upholsterer. He added 1” of foam to the middle of the seat all the way up on the drivers’ side seat. He said he couldn’t do this on the passengers’ side for some reason…
The passenger seat had airbag sensors in the seat. This is why the upholsterer was not able to add the foam to the passenger seat.

Old 11-09-2006, 12:36 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I found the whole HCH06 seat experience the worst I’d ever sat it. Be it the headrest, or the pinching bucket seats or the lumbar (or total lack of). I was okay for the first month and then as the seat wore in, I found my back would be killing me even on short journeys. I was seriously thinking of trading it in for anything else as I was in that much pain every time I drove. I then got a lower lumbar support pillow, and while I could walk after a car journey, I wouldn’t call it nice/comfortable.

Just for the record here, I am 6ft2, 230lbs, large build (36" waist). yes I could do with losing 15-20lbs but I'm not what I'd call odd shaped. I fit in other cars perfectly well and as I travel a lot, I use a lot of rentals with none of these back problems.

In the end, I took it to an upholsterer. He added 1” of foam to the middle of the seat all the way up on the drivers’ side seat. He said he couldn’t do this on the passengers’ side for some reason… I forget. Anyway, seat is now night and day to what it was. It’s as comfortable as my wifes ford (you can sit in it okay for a couple of hours, but you wouldn’t say it feels luxury) and bringing me slightly forward in the seat makes the headrest also comfortable (and still offers some whiplash protection compared to removing the headrest or turning it the other way). Before anyone says, it doesn’t interfere with the airbag system apart from the weight of 1” of foam (you wouldn’t know I’d had it done to the car unless you were looking for it).

Hope this is of some use
I too have added foam to the seatback to take out the convcaveness of the seat.

Old 11-12-2006, 10:43 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

If the headrest is more than 2 inches from the back of your head, they are worthless. Get used to it and you'll fair much better if involved in a rear end collision.

Old 11-13-2006, 07:36 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

My EX seat is comphy. The lack of lumbar support helps me. My back is way jacked up. Forcing lumbar in my back hurts me bad. I prefer the civics seat to the one in our Accord.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:29 PM
Enthusiast

Solution to Honda Civic uncomfortable headrest problem: go to the Honda dealer and try out an Accord headrest. I saw this on another site, and it has worked great for me! I can now rest my back AND shoulders against the seat while my head and neck are comfortable with the new Accord headrest just touching the back of my head, the best position for safety from whiplash.

The sales guy who got the Accord headrest for me to try, and also the parts guy who took my order said I was not the first person who had come in with this complaint. So Honda must be noticing all the extra Accord headrests they are selling lately.

Obviously people have many different shapes of head/neck/back alignment, and I guess the old system had the headrest too far back from some people's heads. But they need to figure out a system that will work for all of us.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:44 PM
Enthusiast

I have a 2007 HCH II w/navi and the writer is correct. The headrest sucks and I will try to get an Accord headrest at the dealership.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:04 AM
Enthusiast

I just ordered two 2007 Accord headrests for our 2007 HCH from Honda of Oakland. (I cross-tested our head rest in an Accord, and checked the alignment: the Accord head rest projects about 1" less to the front. Cost is about $65 each, and the color is close, but not an exact match.) I will post more details as soon as I have the invoice and parts (coming from Ohio) in hand.

Does anyone out there need 2 2007 HCH tan headrests--cheap? :-)

(I would have posted this reply to the HCH2 forum, but could not figure out how to do so. Could the moderator plese do that for me?)

Thanks,

Jon

Hope this is of some use

Quick Reply: 07 HCH Headrest uncomfortable

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands