0w20 Mobil 1 LIVES!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 07:05 PM
Active Enthusiast
Thumbs up 0w20 Mobil 1 LIVES!!!

I was downright gloomy about finding any synthetic oil for our 1st oil change on our HCH. After scouring the net looking for anything close to Mobil 1 0w20, I was resigned to using Mobil 5w20. But this afternoon I called our local NAPA dealer as a last resort, and they said, "yea, we got a case of that". Man I hightailed it down there after work, and paid $32.13 for a 6 qt case. Gladly paid it. I figured at least I'd start with the proper viscosity for the first one.

As the clerk is ringing up the sale, I mention that it's too bad that Mobil is dropping 0w20. The clerk says, "that's funny, let me do some checking". He then punches in the code off one of the quarts and says that it's still listed as a "stocked item".

Here's the kicker, he then tells me "I show 1,400 quarts in the warehouse. 800 in Houston, over 500 in Des Moines, ..." by this time I'd stopped listening. 1400 QUARTS IN INVENTORY!!! I couldn't believe it!! Now if I only had $7,497 bucks I could buy every last one of them!

This is API grade SL/C4 0w20 Mobil 1. On the label it says, "Specially formulated for Ford/Honda 5w20 applications."

Not sure why others are having trouble finding this, but I'll be stocking up soon.

Old 08-26-2005, 08:09 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 0w20 Mobil 1 LIVES!!!

Guess I'll call the distribution center tomorrow.Kevin

Old 08-27-2005, 07:31 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Penzoil is coming out with a 0W-20 fully synthetic oil. So no fears regardless of what Mobil does... and btw, Mobil one has dropped 0W-20. Check out there site for proof. Use to be listed, now it is not.

Old 08-28-2005, 05:30 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by livvie
Mobil one has dropped 0W-20. Check out there site for proof. Use to be listed, now it is not.
Yep I knew that, that's why I was excited about finding a limited source. I've never been a big fan of Penzoil, so I'll probably just use Mobil 1 5w20 when I can't find 0w20 after awhile.

Something interesting while doing my first oil change on our HCH. I was AMAZED how accessible the oil filter was once I dropped the shield. So much better placement than on our CRV and old 93 Accord. Honda's done a nice job engineering that aspect of it.

I also had to "pry" the crush washer off after having removed the drain plug.

Old 08-29-2005, 01:48 PM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: 0w20 Mobil 1 LIVES!!!

I bought 3 quarts of Mobil 1 0-20 at Wal-mart several months ago. That was all they had and I haven't seen anymore since. I bought 2 more at Auto-Zone and changed my oil myself at 9,000 miles. I've put about 6,000 miles on it and it's still clean looking!

I sure hope they make/continue to make Mobil 1 0-20. That is all I would ever use in any vehicle I own.

Old 08-29-2005, 02:19 PM

I'm actually pissed at Mobil for doing this. I've decided to drop their products all together and shift to either using amsoil synthetic... yes they don't have a 0W-20 oil but I own other cars. I will probably use penzoil synthetic 0W-20 for the HCH.

Old 08-29-2005, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by livvie
I'm actually pissed at Mobil for doing this. I've decided to drop their products all together and shift to either using amsoil synthetic... yes they don't have a 0W-20 oil but I own other cars. I will probably use penzoil synthetic 0W-20 for the HCH.
If you are going with Amsoil, would recommend the Amsoil Series 2000 0W-30 for the HCH - I used it for several years, until Mobil came out with their 15,000 mile 5W-30 oil, which I am using now. Good Luck !!!

Old 08-30-2005, 03:48 AM
Enthusiast

This is what I got from Mobil: Mobil1 5W20 motor oil has replaced the 0W20 motor oil because majority
of the newer Honda, Ford, Chrysler and some GM vehicles require the 5W20
viscosity. The 5W20 motor oil does meet all performance requirements of
the 0W20 motor oil however, you will want to check with your dealer
concerning warranty conflicts due to the different viscosity. The 0W20
viscosity is only available from the dealers at this point.

Of course that is not so.

I've used Mobil 1 in all my vehicles since it was invented. Wonder how many thousands that amounted to?

Old 08-30-2005, 12:05 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wangofree
As the clerk is ringing up the sale, I mention that it's too bad that Mobil is dropping 0w20. The clerk says, "that's funny, let me do some checking". He then punches in the code off one of the quarts and says that it's still listed as a "stocked item".

Here's the kicker, he then tells me "I show 1,400 quarts in the warehouse. 800 in Houston, over 500 in Des Moines, ..." by this time I'd stopped listening. 1400 QUARTS IN INVENTORY!!! I couldn't believe it!! Now if I only had $7,497 bucks I could buy every last one of them!
This is API grade SL/C4 0w20 Mobil 1. On the label it says, "Specially formulated for Ford/Honda 5w20 applications."
Not sure why others are having trouble finding this, but I'll be stocking up soon.
Thanks man I called NAPA and they told me over 900 qts in stock in Houston. They in turn gave me a number to a NAPA dealer in Texas City as there are none in League City. Called them and asked them if they could order some and the guy told me "hell we've got 22 qts here" so I went down and they only had 21 so bought them and he's ordering 2 more cases for me to pick up tomorrow. The price is 4.99 a qt.here. I will not make a special trip as today so I'm going to lunch with a friend at the power plant I got transfered from,hate unnecessary trips....lol Again thanks for the info.Kevin

Old 08-30-2005, 01:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

Glad to pass it on Kevin...man, I better hurry and stock up too!! WF

Quick Reply: 0w20 Mobil 1 LIVES!!!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands