1 Month Old - 3250 miles

Old 05-10-2006, 04:42 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default 1 Month Old - 3250 miles

Well, today is the 1 month anniversary for my HCH II. It's just over 3250 miles and I have been impressed with how much I've saved in gas over my Explorer (18 mpg) and my Titan (15 mpg). At $2.75/gallon, I've saved $300 in gas vs my Explorer and $400 in gas vs my Titan. I do miss driving the bigger vehicles - especially when one comes up behind me with their high beams, but couldn't justify spending an extra $3600 to $4800/year in gas (probably more as I'm sure gas will be well over $3.00 by year end.

I'll just hope it handles the snow as well as the Explorer and Titan (both were 4x4) - I plan on putting on snow tires, which I am sure it will hit the MPG.

My commute time hasn't changed by much (about 1.5 hours into work, 1.75 hours back home - about 80 miles each way) but I can tell my driving habits have changed. I find myself getting off the gas earlier for lights and with the digital dash, I've learned the optimal speed for each of the corners and exits where I don't have to brake for them so as I approach, I coast down to the "right" speed. I don't draft of anything crazy like that, just boosted the tires to 40 psi. I still cruise at 75 mph, while touch on 80+ when I have to pass.

One sad thing I have realized though, I will probably be getting rid of the car after 2 years (figure I'll have almost 80K on it), definitely by 3 years (I'll be at 117K). Even if gas prices push past $5 by then, I don't think I'll be able to justify the premium for another Hybrid Civic vs. a Civic LX or FIT. With a payback time frame of 3 years (the longest I will keep the hybrid), I'll only save about $3700 in gas vs a 35 mpg Civic LX or FIT. Assuming the hybrid will still cost about $4000 more, after a $2K federal tax credit, the savings would be barely breakeven. Of course, I will find out 2 to 3 years from now what the difference, if any, a hybrid depreciation rate is once it goes past the 80K warrantee, which is another wild card.

Either way, I am enjoying the car while I got it, just hope the prices come down (for gas as well as the hybrid) in the future!

Old 05-10-2006, 05:30 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 1 Month Old - 3250 miles

My commute is around 105 miles per day (round trip). I just filled up my car yesterday when the fuel gauge showed only 4 bars left. It came out only 8.5 gallons. I'm very happy with that. The car averages about 45 mpg. The other car, the Acura MDX, averages about 23 mpg (mostly on freeway and with no AC on). I still have to take the Acura out at least once a week for commuting. How often do I have to drive the car so that the battery will be recharged and the engine stays "lubricated"? I dont know if that is a correct term to describe it. I love to drive the HCH everyday!

Old 05-10-2006, 09:49 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Mine's just over a month old, but I only have 1,400 miles. Wow, you drive a lot!

Old 05-10-2006, 11:11 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

well, i see you are putting your hybrid to good use. most people get the hybrid since they have big commutes to work and want to save on gas. i am the same way, but my commute is only 60 r/t.

Old 05-11-2006, 04:50 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Anahymbrid
Mine's just over a month old, but I only have 1,400 miles. Wow, you drive a lot!
My daily roundtrip commute is usually 160 miles - although once a week I have to go to our other plant, then its 180 miles roundtrip. Ironically, the 180 mile trip takes the same amount of time as the 160 mile trip due to different traffic conditions. Plus when I go to further plant, I only work from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM vs. my normal 6:00 AM to 5:00 PM.

I actually bought the hybrid because I just started my new company. My previous commute was only 38 miles roundtrip - all stop and go so it would take me between 50 to 65 minutes each way. With the Titan, I was using about 3 gallons/day - wasn't really worried about gas mileage then as there weren't alot of cars that would have gotten significantly better city mileage. I had figured even if I cut my consumption then down to 1.5 gallon/day, that would have only saved me about 800/year. I wound up trading my titan almost as an even trade for the Civic Hybrid

Ironically, I negotiated another 5% to my salary to cover the longer commute time/costs, now I'm not sure if that will cover the extra gas and depreciation costs. Oh well, at least I have 2 years to decide if I want to use the relocation package (need to make sure my wife can get a job in the new area, plus houses are about 75% more than where I currently live).

Either way, I'm glad I got the Hybrid.