'10 Honda Civic Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 03:27 PM
Enthusiast
Default '10 Honda Civic Hybrid

Hey- I'm also a newbie.
Battery light, IMA, and check engine light
So I bought my 10 HCH used at 100k miles. After about 2k miles the battery light started coming on and off and the 12v wouldn't hold a charge. I took it to AutoZone to checheck for a code and possibly a new battery. They recommended I take the car to Honda to see if the 12v had warranty.
Fast forward- the 12v was under warranty and replaced for free. They said it was losing charge due to a faulty positive battery cable and it needed to be replaced. I told them I would come back, procrastinated, and the problem with the battery light went away!
2 months later battery light starts coming on again. I figure I should take it to the dealer to get that cable replaced when it completely dies and the IMA and the checm engine light come on as well, and the car dies and it's unable to be moved.
A couple days later, i manually charge the 12v and manage to get the car to the dealer. Give them my problem and they say I need to replace a battery control module and body control module.
Comes out to 1500.00, I pay, and abt 2 months later I pick up the car and all the lights come back on 2 miles from the dealership.
I take it back and they tell me it happened because the battery control module they had replaced was deffective and so they replace it. 2 weeks later, I pick it up and it's driving perfect for 2 days. Today, (3rd day of having it back) the battery light comes back on.
So now I'm back to square one and invested 1500 dlls with no solution for almost 3 months now.
Any ideas on what the problem would be or what I can do?

Last edited by Yesenia Nadia; 05-11-2017 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:51 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: '10 Honda Civic Hybrid

Originally Posted by Yesenia Nadia
Hey- I'm also a newbie.
Battery light, IMA, and check engine light
So I bought my 10 HCH used at 100k miles. After about 2k miles the battery light started coming on and off and the 12v wouldn't hold a charge. I took it to AutoZone to checheck for a code and possibly a new battery. They recommended I take the car to Honda to see if the 12v had warranty.
Fast forward- the 12v was under warranty and replaced for free. They said it was losing charge due to a faulty positive battery cable and it needed to be replaced. I told them I would come back, procrastinated, and the problem with the battery light went away!
2 months later battery light starts coming on again. I figure I should take it to the dealer to get that cable replaced when it completely dies and the IMA and the checm engine light come on as well, and the car dies and it's unable to be moved.
A couple days later, i manually charge the 12v and manage to get the car to the dealer. Give them my problem and they say I need to replace a battery control module and body control module.
Comes out to 1500.00, I pay, and abt 2 months later I pick up the car and all the lights come back on 2 miles from the dealership.
I take it back and they tell me it happened because the battery control module they had replaced was deffective and so they replace it. 2 weeks later, I pick it up and it's driving perfect for 2 days. Today, (3rd day of having it back) the battery light comes back on.
So now I'm back to square one and invested 1500 dlls with no solution for almost 3 months now.
Any ideas on what the problem would be or what I can do?
Keep going back to the dealer and get Honda corporate involved. You're pretty much stuck at this point. It's pretty much impossible to diagnose anything conclusively without reading codes. A dozen things could be wrong.

You need to put forth the argument that you're entitled to a refund because the dealer failed to properly diagnose the car.

Don't procrastinate any more.

Good luck,