12V not charging after replacing it!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 09:45 AM
Enthusiast
Exclamation 12V not charging after replacing it!!!

Please bear with me and patiently read to help me.

Hi everyone im new here and i have some questions, if any information can be given to help guide me in the right direction that would be appreciated!!!

So here goes. I have a civic hybrid 2003 automatic. The car worked fine but the 12v battery died after i left the radio on for a little while when the car was off. I tried starting it...nothing....then again nothing...about an hour or so later it starts!....checked the voltage 14.something when running and 12.something when off...

I tried starting it a few days later dead!!! I decided to by a new 12v battery from honda today. i ask if i need to know about any special way to change it...they say no just like a regular battery!

I change the battery...the only thing i did besides disconnecting the wires to the poles was i disconnected the ground to the body of the car so i can have more leeway to work.

I start the car when done. Car starts great...BUT! i hear this weird buzzing sound from the passenger glove compartment. And i immediately notice ima light and engine light...soon after the battery light came on too! I also saw the battery gauge was at zero!!! so i went for a drive. I have no ima assist when accelerating and no charging when braking. Battery level reads no bars. 12v battery reads 12. something volts when off and the same when on.

So something is not working because i have no charging. What do i do?

engine codes

p1600 and p1570

are these codes related to what my symptoms are?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-07-2011, 09:49 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 12V not charging after replacing it!!!

I checked two fuses that are labelled IMA one was under the hood the other under the steering column, both are in working condition.

Any other things i can check on my own?

What damage could i have caused by changing the battery???

Old 11-07-2011, 10:05 AM
Enthusiast

how do i reset mcm?

what is it and could it solve my problem?

Old 11-07-2011, 10:37 AM

Since your problems started when you changed the battery that is where I would start.

Pull the battery back out and check the negative cable all the way down to where it connects to the engine/transmission housing. I found mine just about corroded through. Also double check that you have a solid connection with the body ground strap you removed. Make sure there isn't a heavy buildup of rust or paint.

As long as you didn't short anything or reverse polarity trying to jump the car or something similar and the car was ok beforehand hopefully one of the grounds just got wiggled the wrong way when you changed the battery.

Good luck....

Old 11-07-2011, 11:13 AM
Enthusiast
Exclamation Re: 12V not charging after replacing it!!!

thank you for your reply. The ground is not corroded i sanded it before replacing it tightly. I checked as far as i can see but the wires look ok no excessive corrosion. If by mistake i did (i dont think so) touch the cables together or some kind of other "shorting" mistake what would be my next step in troubleshooting this?

Could i have burned the dc/dc motor? or damaged the big battery?
Im very concerned!

Old 11-08-2011, 07:08 AM
Enthusiast

Code p1570 on the scanner writes:

Manufacturer Control Vehicle Speed
Idle Speed Control
Auxiliary Inputs

p1600:
Manufacturer Control
Auxiliary Inputs
Auxiliary Outputs

???????????????Are these codes for the ima system or for the gas engine(which seems to be working normally)???????????

Old 11-08-2011, 08:04 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by b17pete
p1600:
Manufacturer Control
Auxiliary Inputs
Auxiliary Outputs
If you have this you should also have a CEL. P1600 seems to be the generic CEL code for any IMA problem. You may have had the P1600 because when you removed the 12V battery it erased some of the stored settings in the IMA. These need a constant 12V to be maintained, and if tne settings are corrupted, this CEL results. It's in the service manual somewhere.

Apparently the only safe way to change a 12V battery on an HCH is with a "memory minder" (small 12V battery attached in parallel, so none of the things that depend on 12V are ever deprived of it.) It isn't just the HCH, I have heard this is true for most recent cars.

Also, you mean the big battery isn't charging, not the 12V, right?

Last edited by pasadena_commut; 11-08-2011 at 08:06 AM.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:38 AM
Enthusiast

the 12v battery is not being charged by the ima system and i have no ima battery assist or bars that indicate any charge but before i removed the old battery the gauge and system worked fine before i did the job of changing batteries the battery gauge was at half full. Now it seems as if there is a disconnect between the two batteries.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by b17pete
the 12v battery is not being charged by the ima system and i have no ima battery assist or bars that indicate any charge but before i removed the old battery the gauge and system worked fine before i did the job of changing batteries the battery gauge was at half full. Now it seems as if there is a disconnect between the two batteries.
Hmm. This doesn't sound good. Maybe unhook the 12V battery again (just the ground side), turn on the headlights (they won't light, it is just to dissipate whatever charge is lingering here and there in the electrical system), wait 5 minutes, turn off headlights, reattach battery (with everything on the car turned off). Just in case it is a logic glitch - this might erase some stuck bits. My bet is it won't help, but it seems unlikely to break anything worse than it is already broken.

Check all the fuses. Who knows, you might get lucky?

Failing that, I think you need to see a dealer. They can read codes out of the car that cannot be accessed with a regular code reader.

At least one of the computers is in the passenger foot well area, and I have a bad feeling that that odd buzzing sound may have been something shorting out in/near those expensive electronics.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:34 AM
Active Enthusiast

Did you read this answer yet?

http://www.justanswer.com/honda/1cwp...-p1570-01.html

Or here?

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/dir.../.f145abe/1154

Last edited by drozzin; 12-09-2011 at 08:37 AM.

Quick Reply: 12V not charging after replacing it!!!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands