1st oil change 2005 CVT

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 12:26 PM
Enthusiast
Default 1st oil change 2005 CVT

Thought I'd just write this in in case someone else was wondering if they should change the oil themselves or not. It's a pretty straight forward procedure. I've got a 2005 CVT with 4800 mi.on it and changed the oil this A.M. The instructions in the manual that came with the car are clear. The only thing different for me was I had to buy ramps first because the car is too low to crawl under. No big deal 23 bucks at Walmart.There are 9 clips holding a cover onto the chassis easily removed by prying each plastic clip off with a screwdiver. Once this cover is off, the filter and drain bolt are easily visible. I removed the filter and let it drain, then the 17mm bolt from the pan. After it drained I installed the new filter and the bolt with a new metal washer which I bought OEM from dealer. I hand tightened the filter then an extra half turn. The bolt was supposed to be 29 ft.lbs. but I don't have a torque wrench and just put it on tight. I was very cautious this being the first time but both seemed to go on fine. I had read about stripping bolts etc. I used 0-20 oil (not synthetic)also purchased from dealer, 3.5 quarts including filter.Total cost of $29.00 not counting ramps. Dealer charge would have been $49.00. It seemed worth it just to save the time and knowing what exactly was done. Next time I'l probably put synthetic in. So thats it. I was looking for this kind of description before I did mine so I hope its useful. My mileage is not that great compared to this forum but my wife drives much more than me, mostly local stop and go and drives this car like our old Bonneville with no interest in "adapting".! I have fun though seeing how I do on each trip I make and average 48 to 55 depending.

Old 02-19-2005, 07:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Paul
Dealer charge would have been $49.00. It seemed worth it just to save the time and knowing what exactly was done. Next time I'l probably put synthetic in. So thats it. I was looking for this kind of description before I did mine so I hope its useful. My mileage is not that great compared to this forum but my wife drives much more than me, mostly local stop and go and drives this car like our old Bonneville with no interest in "adapting".! I have fun though seeing how I do on each trip I make and average 48 to 55 depending.
Your dealer charges $49.00 just for an oil change? In expensive San Diego, the express oil change + 18 point inspection is $30...

Old 02-19-2005, 08:15 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi BlueSkies:

___A slight OT note but possibly important depending … Mobil has discontinued Mobil1 0W-20. I don’t know what the recommended weight oil is for the AH but if its 0W-20, I left 24 quarts at the Pep Boys in North Waukegan. If you want it but you might want to act fast … Mobil is replacing it with a slightly heavier 5W-20 but no one knows the exact specs just yet. I took the last 51 quarts out of the Pep Boys in Round Lake tonight but I am sure there are a few south of you. AutoZone in north Waukegan has been cleaned out. I only picked up 24 quarts from them. The AutoZone in North Chicago/Waukegan has the new 5W-20 but no 0W-20 according to the lady I spoke with via phone. Walmart in Waukegan and Gurnee are cleaned out as well. Anyway, if your AH uses 0W-20, I would get on it if you want to use it over the next few years.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net