2003 Honda Civic Hybrid - stalls after cleaning EGR

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 10:49 AM
tja
Enthusiast
Default 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid - stalls after cleaning EGR

I have had the P1166 CEL for a while, and finally bought and installed the Primary (right after the exhaust manifold) O2 Sensor. Fixed that.

Then a P1491 came up regularly. I removed and cleaned the EGR with Thrust Starter Fuild, Re-installed with the original gasket (it looked fine). Now, when I start the car it dies within 2 seconds. I removed the positive battery terminal for 30-60 seconds, re-installed it and it seemed fine for 2 starts, then back to stalling within 2 seconds after the start. If I give it a little gas for 2 seconds after the start, it runs perfectly. In fact, in economy mode, when the engine stops at a light, it starts perfectly when I remove
my foot from the brake pedal. The car seems to be running perfectly except for this anomaly.

NOTE: There are no CEL thrown - my ODBII tester comes up with "NO CODES".

help...

tja

Old 12-31-2011, 07:56 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid - stalls after cleaning EGR

Maybe the gasket is not sealed? H

Old 01-02-2012, 08:06 AM
tja
Enthusiast

Good idea.

I just replaced the gasket with a brand new one - I was told by the parts store that I did not need RTV so I did not use it...

Same problem.

This is confusing - this did not happen until I cleaned the EGR valve - could a bad EGR valve cause this problem?

thanks in advance,

tja

Old 01-02-2012, 12:45 PM

I don't think so! Make sure it is not sucking air through the gasket or the hose if it has a hose? I can't remember. When the EGR gets dirty they just get jerky. Some people actually feel the CTV is the problem. What did you use to to clean it with ? WD-30? H

Old 01-03-2012, 05:39 AM
tja
Enthusiast

The first time I used Thrust Starter Fluid and put the original gasket back on.

Yesterday I used Carb Cleaner, cleaned both surfaces with a brass brush and put a new gasket on....same problem.

You typed CTV...did you mean CVT? I replaced the transmission fluid that bought from Honda the day I swapped the O2 sensor. I had very bad "judder"...it runs very nicely now....at least for a few thousand miles I hope.
This stalling issue did not start until I removed the EGR valve to clean it because of the CEL P1491.

I ordered a new EGR valve yesterday at Advanced Auto for $150.

Thanks for the reply...any additional ideas or information are more than welcome!

tja

Old 01-03-2012, 01:31 PM

Yes I meant CVT. Hopefully the new EGR will repair it. If it does not, try cleaning the mas air flow sensor. Get the proper fluid for cleaning it though! Good luck, H

Old 01-07-2012, 06:31 AM
tja
Enthusiast

Well...replaced the EGR valve and that solved that problem! The idle (both cold and hot) is very smooth. I did not realize it, but the idle with the old EGR valve was slighty erratic. When the vehicle is warmed up and shut off, it restarts perfectly!

Now, I am back to the original problem a year or so ago...P1420...lovely...

tja

Old 01-07-2012, 08:05 AM

The EGR valve must have been stuck open a little. When you clean the valve shaft you most insure it moves freely open and close. H