2004 Civic Hybrid, Cylinder Leak- Blown Head Gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 09:15 AM
Enthusiast
Angry 2004 Civic Hybrid, Cylinder Leak- Blown Head Gasket?

Going down the road, car started making clanking noise oil light, and others lit up, and died. Would not crank back up. I had my car towed to Pep Boys on May 14th,2013. Later that day , Lee called me and stated that my IMA Battery had failed and Honda is the only place who could fix it, cost being $2800 and they could handle everything for me. I had mentioned to him that my battery had shown no signs of damage, and asked for the codes he got that brought him to this conclusion. He could not (or would not) tell me.I mentioned that a friend had said it may ben the head gasket so, he said he would do some more diagnostics and get back with me. On May 15th Lee called me back and stated that yes, the head gasket was blown and would need to be repaired. Said the cost would be $1500 and he would install my fan and radiator I had previously purchased. Not having $1500, I told him I would have to think about it and call him back. May 17th I called him back after being able to acquire the funds and told him to proceed with the work. May 25th I received a voicemail stating the work was done and I needed to call. Called the shop, Lee was not in, but I spoke with another gentleman who told me that although their work was finished, the car still would not crank due to the bad IMA battery and said I would need to have it towed to Honda, and he referred me to Tameron Honda. May 28th I received a call from Lee saying they needed to get the car out of their bay, and requested payment. When I asked how much, he told me $1800 and some number I do not remember. I proceeded to tell him that he quoted me $1500, to which he basically called me a liar and said that he told me $1600 to $1800. He did agree to take it down to $1600. The car was towed to Tameron Honda on 5/30/13. On 6/3/13 Tameron called me to tell me the battery was fine. The reason why it would not crank was that Pep Boys had made several mistakes when doing their job. They found the wrong connector plugged into the air intake temperature sensor. The Canister purge valve not plugged in at all, and the connector at the cam shaft sensor not plugged in all the way. He also discovered they had not changed the oil after the head gasket work so there was still antifreeze in the oil. The car cranked right up after these things were corrected but was running rough. Said that a cylinder was leaking. This should not be happening since the gasket was just replaced and the heads worked. Picked the car up from Honda on 6/5/13, made it less than 10 miles down the road and the car died…started making a tremendous banging noise and just died. Called Pep Boys and they said to have it towed at their expense. Do not feel very comfortable that they will resolve the problem, so I am left here….
Any ideas as to where I should go from here?

Old 07-16-2013, 08:19 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2004 Civic Hybrid, Cylinder Leak- Blown Head Gasket?

This is why I do all my own repair work. It cost me less than $200 to do the headgasket and timing belt in my wife's civic coupe last year and I know it was done correctly because I was able to make sure no shortcuts were taken. No issues over a year later.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:52 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2004 Civic Hybrid, Cylinder Leak- Blown Head Gasket?

Banging noise sounds more like rod bearing damage. Check the oil for metal particles.