2005 civic CVT problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 03:32 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2005 civic CVT problem

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid 175000 miles.

I have an interesting problem that is puzzling me. Before I describe it, I want to say that it is NOT the shuddering/vibration on acceleration issue that is common with the Civic CVT trannys.

In the past when I put it in gear, the tranny would not engage and the car would not move until I would press the accelerator slightly. As long as the engine was at idle, the tranny would not engage in forward or reverse. I have always assumed that is the way it should be, and I have no reason to believe otherwise.

The car sat for 2 weeks while we were on vacation. Since then, the transmission now engages immediately when I put it in gear. If I keep my foot on the brake, the RPMs will then drop to 300-400 RPMs, the tranny will then disengage, RPMs will them rise back up to 700-800, tranny re-engages, then the RPMs drop and the cycle repeats itself over and over . . . . along with some serious jerking when the transmission engages and disengages.

Has anyone seen this? Possibly a bad start clutch? Any other ideas?

Thanks for your advice.

Dan

Old 04-03-2015, 07:38 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2005 civic CVT problem

Change fluid. Continue to change fluid every other oil change. Make sure you are not low.

Significant temperature change over those two weeks? CVT tend to slip a bit when cold.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:44 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
Change fluid. Continue to change fluid every other oil change. Make sure you are not low.

Significant temperature change over those two weeks? CVT tend to slip a bit when cold.
Thanks for the advice. Any idea why changing the fluid would help? The was a temperature change during the two weeks. And while i agree that the CVT doesn't perform as well in cold temps, this is not a slipping issue. I have had the cat during warm and cold weather, and it had never done this before.

If you have a civic hybrid with a CVT, does the transmission engage immediately when you put in gear (does the car start to move when you put it in gear without touching the accelerator)?

I am an aircraft engineer and A&P mechanic, so i really like to understand the "why" before throwing parts at a problem (or in this case fluid).

Thanks
Dan

Last edited by danrweaver; 04-04-2015 at 06:57 AM.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:53 AM

Congrats on the credentials. When you say "engineer" is that a Canadian engineer or a United States engineer?

Bottom line with the CVT is you have two choices: 1) change the fluid when there's a problem, 2) don't change the fluid when there's a problem. If the fluid change helps, it was the problem. If the fluid change doesn't help, you probably need a replacement CVT in the near future.

I have two. Both behave similar. When I have my foot on the brake and put it into D, nothing happens. When I release the brake, the CVT will engage, and the car will creep forward... in most cases. Near 100% when warm, ~50% when cold.

Your "cold" condition isn't performing as it should, and your "warm" condition isn't either.

I stick with my original recommendation, replace CVT fluid. It's $30 and 30 minutes of work. If it's been more than 15,000 miles, AND you notice an improvement after change, I recommend you do it again 7 days after the first time.

EDIT: BTW, the initial condition you describe is what I experience in cooler temps with low fluid levels and/or old fluid.

Last edited by S Keith; 04-04-2015 at 07:57 AM.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:17 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks. I think I will try that. I have put a little over 15k miles on it since I bought it, and I think it was changed not long before I bought it.

I don't have an engineering degree, but have worked a project engineer for several years for Hawker Beechcraft (now Textron Aviation). And I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night . . . .

Thanks
Dan

Old 04-04-2015, 02:25 PM

Good ol' Beechcraft. I had a '63 Mouseketeer for a few years.

Underfilling can be an issue. I'm not sure about the HCH1, but my '06 take exactly 3 qts. When I've thought I over-filled it before I got to 3 quarts, I was wrong. It needed all 3 quarts.

The overwhelming consensus is that one should only use the genuine Honda CVT fluid. It's spendy at ~$10/qt, but the few I have encountered, who have tried other brands and posted their results, have always gone back to Honda.

Steve

Old 04-15-2015, 06:11 PM
Enthusiast

Well, no luck. I changed the fluid but no improvement on either issue.

What can you tell me about the CVT burnishing process that Honda does. Does it improve the belt's ability to grip the pulleys or just help with the shuddering issue on initial acceleration? Does that have to be done by a Honda dealer?

I work on the military side of the company with the T-6 (called Harvard north of the border), so i still get to use the Beechcraft name, Beechcraft Defence Company.

Thanks
Dan

Old 04-15-2015, 07:38 PM

Sorry to hear it. AFAIK, the burnishing process just addresses the juddering issue.

Here's the Service Bulletin to address judder:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/forums/a...tch-judder.pdf