A 2005 jockey drives an '06 HCH

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 06:40 AM
Brains of the Operation
Default A 2005 jockey drives an '06 HCH

My 2005 HCH was at the dealer, getting serviced. I noticed an Opal Silver Blue 2006 HCH in the lot while I was waiting - the only hybrid at the dealership. It was a slow day for the sales dept, so I didn't feel bad about asking to take it out. The bored old guy who helped me got more than he bargained for, though, because I really wanted to take it out.

The first thing I noticed was that my view was significantly diminished from the driver's seat. I have a funny torso:leg ratio, and I sit quite high up in my car (so much so that I can't actually fit into a friend's 2002 Civic w/sunroof, because there's not enough headroom). The oddly slanted windshield and the ultra-elongated dash in this car seemed to really constrict my vision compared to what I am used to, based on my angle of observation. The next thing I noticed was that the instantaneous mileage display was not near enough to the assist/charge display, two gauges that I like to eyeball at the same time. It could have just been my imagination, but does the instantaneous on the '06 have lower resolution than the '03-05? Don't worry, this isn't all negative.

My tester didn't have NAV, but I thought the dashboard configuration was really appealing. When the friendly salesman was probably feeling like he was ready to go home, I pulled out on the interstate. Using the same driving techniques I do in my '05, I drove a mile or two. It seemed like the new car liked to lock in 60-65 mpg at a steady cruise, just like my current car. No big improvement there. Pulling off the interstate, I wanted to try to find that much talked-about "EV mode" or "zero-fuel glide" or "fuel cut" or whatever everybody is trying to call it now. At about 40 mph, I eased off the gas, and just nudged it a little, and boom! Fuel display was maxed out with about 4 bars of assist. I even got 5 bars of assist for about 10 seconds before the fuel kicked back in! I must admit, that was pretty exhilarating, and I was utterly surprised by how easy it was to get into that supposedly elusive mode.

Other observations: there is noticeably more pickup in the new model than in the somewhat anemic HCH-I. I also appreciate the higher degree of variability of the IMA - my car will start assisting at 5 bars of assist (or none - there's no in between), and it has various increments of assist it seems pre-programmed to stick atl. The HCH-II has truly "continuously variable" assist, where it seemed to kick in the right amount of assist for any situation. Like everybody else has mentioned, I liked the triangular side windows in the cockpit, if only for aesthetic reasons. I still feel that the driver's view is impaired slightly relative to the HCH-I. Also, and this is totally subjective - the new HCH misses a little of the "road feel" that the HCH-I had. Maybe it's because the ride could be smoother, but I felt less connected with the car in a tactile and kinetic sort of way.

A great car, though, and I'm jealous of all you new owners, but I won't be getting a new car anytime soon; I plan on driving my '05 till she's falling apart! Hopefully many years to come!

Old 01-25-2006, 08:13 PM
Default Re: A 2005 jockey drives an '06 HCH

Great review!

Old 01-25-2006, 10:24 PM
04 prius 350,000km

good personal feedback

Old 01-26-2006, 08:54 AM
Vegetarian

Ditto.

Old 01-26-2006, 09:15 AM
now Insight, had an HCH

Excellent review! I saw a dirt colored '06 this morning when I took my wife for a medical appointment - oddly enough my wife likes the dirt color though I find it b.o.r.i.n.g. I also saw no less than FOUR '03-'05's - that's not including mine which was at home in the garage. This isn't a big town so I was really surprised.

I'm dying to get one with NAVI, but the '03 will soon be paid off. It's just not right to get rid of a perfectly good car (that can easily top 45+mpg) that isn't costing you anything and I don't see them matching my 1.9% financing I got when I bought my '03.

Nice way to describe the ride. I think I will like the ride of the '06 if/when I get a chance to take one out for a spin.