2005 owners - wish you had waited?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)
Default Re: 2005 owners - wish you had waited?

Originally Posted by laurie
nope. as soon as i heard that they only came in an automatic, i knew i was going to be fine with my '05. i always prefer a manual shift.
Me too. I like the MT and the fact that the bugs had been worked out in the 05. Brand new models scare me.

I bet my ole 2005 beats 90% of the 2006 Civics for mileage in the DB.

Old 10-14-2005, 03:48 PM
Vegetarian

since i bought my 05 used, and got an awesome deal on it, i know it wouldn't have mattered if i waited... i couldn't afford to buy an 06. i do have pangs of "i wish my car had that" with the new 3 stage engine thing, and the iPod connectivity. but it's ok because i still absolutly LOVE my car, it's exactly what i wanted. i plan on having it for a long time.

Old 10-14-2005, 07:41 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi All:

___It is one thing to pay $17.5 - $20K for an HCH-I as many here did from late 03 to early 05 but I am seeing upwards of $24K being posted for the HCH-II. At under $20K, a compact hybrid - makes sense but $24K? Even with a $2.5 + K Tax Credit, that is a lot of $’s in my book. Especially knowing its size is actually smaller and the highway FE compared to a MT based HCH-I is less. 0 - 60 in ~ 11 seconds is not anything to get excited about just yet … Now if we would have received the 5-door hatch with a leather interior similar to an EX-like setup in Europe, that might have changed my tune a bit

___I am anxiously waiting to hear how the 06 lean-burn-less ICE works out on the highway …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 10-14-2005, 09:15 PM

The HCH II is $21850 MSRP, or $23350 with nav. Add to that the delivery charge, markup, accessories, and tax.

Old 10-15-2005, 11:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

Actually, the Camry hybrid will take a different strategy than the HAH. It is one of the cars I am considering buying in 2006 (the other being the Altima hybrid).

Both will pair 4 cylinder engines to electric motors, NOT the V-6 + electric combo that the HAH has.

So we'll see if they hit the right mix of power and fuel economy. Maybe about 200hp and high 30's mpg?

Originally Posted by kmh3

If gas prices stay high, I am hoping that hybrids will increase in popularity and our options too. I wonder if Honda and Toyota are rethinking their strategy in light of increased gas prices for the Accord/Camry hybrids and considering models that are tuned for mpg instead of power?

My sister's dream car is a hybrid CRV that gets 40+ mpg. :-)

Mine is a Mazda 3 hybrid wagon MT that gets 50+ mpg. :-)

Old 10-15-2005, 03:37 PM
Enthusiast

Nope, I have no regrets at all about not waiting. I bought my '05 HCH in June, and knew about the redesign at the time, but while the '06 has a number of incremental improvements, I haven't seen anything that makes me really lust after it rather than my '05. Plus, there's no way I could have gotten anywhere near as good a price on an '06--I paid considerably less than the MT's MSRP for a CVT.

Also, this is a bit of a shallow observation, but I don't like the new colors as much--I have the deep blue that the '05 came in. Why are neutrals so popular?

Old 10-16-2005, 07:14 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RockvilleCommuter

Also, this is a bit of a shallow observation, but I don't like the new colors as much--I have the deep blue that the '05 came in. Why are neutrals so popular?
Oh wow, I just read this and looked up the blue color. I hadn't realized that the 2005s had this blue color available. Now I have serious 2005 envy. I wish I had known about that color and searched harder for a new one when I bought my used 2004, which had really lame colors. The only cure for this envy would be to find out the interior only came in beige for the blue. Please tell me this is true so I don't have to go looking for a blue 2005 with grey interior.

Dangit, just looked it up again, they did have grey interior... but they're dang expensive. Nearly all the ones on autotrader, even used ones, are at or above MSRP. There are a few around 19k. I bought mine for 17.5 so I guess I'm still happy but I wish I had that pretty blue...

Last edited by zimbop; 10-16-2005 at 07:16 AM.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:41 AM
my other car is a FJORD

Originally Posted by zimbop
Oh wow, I just read this and looked up the blue color. I hadn't realized that the 2005s had this blue color available.

i also have a bad case of the "blues". by the time i decided to get one, i could only get magnesium (which reminds me of blue haired old ladies in buicks). there were blue ones available in minneapolis, about 2 hours away, and i thought perhaps they could get me one from there, like they did when i got my CRV, but this time. so even though i do get super mileage, and i did have it pinstriped to jazz it up a little, and i am going to get the windows tinted.......i still miss the blue

by the way, at my age i COULD be one of those blue hairs in a buick, but i am just not that type

Old 10-16-2005, 09:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

Saw some 2006 Civics on the road and they looked sharp... at least in the bronze color. Not that the 2004 I have is an ugly car either :-)

Originally Posted by SretiCentV
I don't like the redesign that much. Looks to me like a Saturn. When I bought my 2005, I needed a car ASAP. I'm very happy with the 2005 and if 2 mpg and air conditioning (which I don't use unless I'm on the highway) during stop are the biggest advantages, I feel no regrets.

I did not, however, know about the redesign for 06. I even asked when I bought it and they told me 08 or 09 would be a redesign. Thats the only thing about the whole experience that aggravates me.

Old 10-16-2005, 09:34 AM
Active Enthusiast

That's true.... however I do think that the 2006 will be a bigger than normal change. Side curtain airbags will probably be standard in the near future and so this 6 airbag setup will endure. the mp3 input and gps nav will also be around for quite a while. These are all features lacking on my 2004, along with electric A/C which I am most envious of.

But it's hard to be angry at my 2004 when it has provided such excellent mileage and service.

>No argument on that count.
>But the point I wanted to make was: there will always be something >technologically superior -coming out in a few months timeframe- than what one >just recently bought, so might as well enjoy what one has got.

Quick Reply: 2005 owners - wish you had waited?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands