2006 Civic - Hard Seats - Can you get used to it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 07:04 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2006 Civic - Hard Seats - Can you get used to it?

I am interested in a 2006 HCH but the dealer didn't have one so I test drove a 2006 EX today (for only about 15 minutes) and really liked it except for the driver's seat. It was very firm and was uncomfortable compared to the seats in my old 98 Taurus which are quite soft and cushiony. Both the seat bottom and back seemed hard. I assume the HCH seat would be the same as in the EX?

I really want to get the HCH II but worry about comfort -- it would be bad to buy one and find seating comfort to be an on-going problem. Did some of you find the seats uncomfortable at first, but then you adjusted to it and now you don't think about it anymore?

Old 04-05-2006, 07:33 PM
G.H. Contributor
Thumbs up Re: 2006 Civic - Hard Seats - Can you get used to it?

Originally Posted by dalemccl
I am interested in a 2006 HCH but the dealer didn't have one so I test drove a 2006 EX today (for only about 15 minutes) and really liked it except for the driver's seat. It was very firm and was uncomfortable compared to the seats in my old 98 Taurus which are quite soft and cushiony. Both the seat bottom and back seemed hard. I assume the HCH seat would be the same as in the EX?

I really want to get the HCH II but worry about comfort -- it would be bad to buy one and find seating comfort to be an on-going problem. Did some of you find the seats uncomfortable at first, but then you adjusted to it and now you don't think about it anymore?
Seats;

I own a New HCH II since March of this yr. The seats are okey to me but as you have pointed out they are not the soft cushy. They are just not that kind of seat. I have had No-Problem with the Seats and the Comfort Level. They are just fine to me.

As far as owning the HCH II, I can tell you that (IMO) you will Love the HCH Ii from the moment you pick it up from the Honda Dealer and take it Home. The car is Great. I could go on and on but the short version is, I really like everything about the HCH II.

Good-Luck

Terry

Old 04-05-2006, 07:51 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2006 Civic - Hard Seats - Can you get used to it?

I've owned a 2006 HCH for about 2 months. I think your description of the seats in the EX match the HCH, although I haven't personally compared them. I initially thought the seats in the HCH were "hard" compared to my previous vehicle's seats. I was a bit worried about comfort too.

I must say that I actually now like the seats. They are comfortable. Psychologically I required a few weeks to get over the fact that they aren't squishy. Business requires me to frequently drive to Chicago-land (~ 3.5 hour trip), and I must say that my body was not as tight and fatigued as I usually am my first trip with the HCH.

My wife has even commented "your seats are oddly comfortable", so
I wouldn't worry about them. Think of how many focus groups Honda probably used before making this vehicle! Buy it and love it.

Old 04-05-2006, 08:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

For what I use my vehicle for they are comfortable. However, I did drive down to Tucson a few weekends ago and found them to be uncomfortable after about 2 hours. I don't know if it was the seats or the driving position or the visit itself but I didn't like it. I will be taking it on another trip shortly and it will allow me to reevaluate. For my daily 30 minute commute, they are perfect.

Old 04-06-2006, 07:02 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I and my friend who bought a 2006 hch2 LOVE the seats.
She keeps commenting on how comfortable they are.

For long drives in any car you should change the seat often.
Back angle
Slide forward then backward slightly.
Height.

Also telescope the steering wheel in and out.
Remaining in one position for a long time (in any car) is not comfortable or even healthy

Old 04-06-2006, 07:59 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I own a 06 EX Civic and a 05 Accord. Honda does not build plush seats. They never have and dont think they ever will. Thats Toyota. They build the soft seats like Fords and Buicks have.

Wife and I find the seats in our Hondas to be very comfy. They are firm, but very supportive.

We will be driving our Civic out to Pheonix on the 15th of April. I expect no problems with the seats at all. Ive driven the car 2 to 3 hours at a time so far on trips without any issues.

This comes up alot about Hondas. Its been a design thing for them from the start. Hard seat = Honda,,, not Buick,,, That would be Toyota.

Old 04-06-2006, 08:32 AM
Proud owner HCHII

Kenny
That's very good advice. Can you imagine sitting either at the dinner table or in the movies for three hours without moving? Another plus of 'cruise' is that you can move your feet and legs about a little. Don't get a thrombosis from not exercising your muscles - blood drains to the legs in some situations!
Thank you Doctor....

Old 04-06-2006, 12:46 PM
Enthusiastically Active

While I found them slightly uncomfortable on my first long trip, I have had no problem on 2+ hour trips since. I do cringe slightly when people remark that seats in a car are bad, since it is such a subjective feature. What is comfortable to one tush, can be uncomfortable to another.

Old 04-06-2006, 12:48 PM
Enthusiast

Hard Seats?

You are kidding me aren't you?

I am 46 years old and weigh over 200lbs and I don't consider the seats hard at all.

I mean seriously, you don't really consider them hard do you?

I actually went out to my car and sat in it after reading this thread before replying just to check. Nope, seats aren't hard at all...

Bowdirk

Old 04-06-2006, 01:03 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BowDirk
Hard Seats?

>You are kidding me aren't you?

No I'm not.

>I am 46 years old and weigh over 200lbs and I don't consider the seats hard at all.

I am older than that and also a little over 200 lbs.

>I mean seriously, you don't really consider them hard do you?

I should have described them as "firm" rather than "hard". Not as soft as I am used to. As a result, I felt a little uncomfortable (both my back and rear-end) while driving a short distance and am concerned that it might be even worse on an extended drive.

>I actually went out to my car and sat in it after reading this thread before replying just to check. Nope, seats aren't hard at all...

I am sure seat comfort is subject to individual tastes. I am just wondering if others found them uncomfortable at first but then adjusted to it and no longer find them uncomfortable. (Cryx indicated that was the case for him.)

Bowdirk

Quick Reply: 2006 Civic - Hard Seats - Can you get used to it?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands