2007 Civic Hybrid IMA issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 12:28 PM
Enthusiast
Angry 2007 Civic Hybrid IMA issues

Hello everyone,

I need some help on figuring out what this car needs to get back to running normal again. I have replaced the IMA battery last week and also replaced the fan and I still get the check engine light, IMA light, red battery light, and no charge (green bars).

Basic info about the car:

2007 Civic Hybrid
155xxx miles
New aftermarket IMA battery installed a week ago
New fan installed today
Fuses checked today and all were good

About a year ago the IMA battery started coming on periodically and going back off. I realized the battery was draining much quicker than usual but I still was getting over 40 mpg so I ignored it.

Fast forward to May 2015. I decided to try the grid charger to see if it would work. I purchased one off of eBay from Maxx Volts. It would charge the battery up just fine, but the battery would still drain very fast like usual. Then a week into it I started noticing that the car would stop charging when I was driving all together once the outside temperature would reach 80+ degrees, but it would still charge in the mornings. I realized this grid charger was screwing up my system some way or another so I stopped using it and bit the bullet. I ended up dishing out $2000 for a new after market IMA battery.

I installed the battery last week. When I go I start the car all of the lights came back on, but it was charging. I drove it one day and nothing changed. The next day it was no longer charging, so I took it to Autozone to get the codes checked. They came back with p1448 and P1570. The p1448 is related to a fan issue, which didn\'t surprise me. I was thinking the grid charger fried my fan when it stopped charging when the temperatures were rising. So I replaced the fan today, but when I started up the car all the lights came back on and it still is not charging.

At this point I am all out of aces. Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this? Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Old 07-26-2015, 05:58 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2007 Civic Hybrid IMA issues

When you replaced the IMA battery, did you reset the codes and/or disconnect/reconnect the 12V battery?

P1570 is Battery Module Individual Voltage Problem.

Did you check the pack voltage before installation?

Are you certain your 12V is up to snuff?

Are you certain your ground straps are intact?

Are you certain the orange connector plugged into the BCM is fully seated with no corrosion or loose contacts?

I would get on the phone with the battery supplier for support. P1570 can be a break in the voltage sensing connections inside the pack or a bad stick/pair.

Good luck,

Steve

EDIT:

14P Orange connector layout:

1, 2, 3, X, X, 4, 5, 6
7, 8, 9, X, 11, 12, 13, 14

You should have > 12V at the following 11 connections:

6 - 14
14 - 5
5 - 13
13 - 4
4 - 12
12 - 11
7 - 1
8 - 2
2 - 9
9 - 3

Manual says > 7V, but I would swear you're measuring across all 11 sub packs of 12 cells, so really, you should be north of 14.4V at each one.

Last edited by S Keith; 07-26-2015 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:32 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you for your reply S Kieth. I went back yesterday and re-checked all of the connections and the only issue I came across was the positive 12V battery connector needed replacing. I replaced the cable end and re-charged the 12V battery. And the IMA battery started charging! Huge relief!

All of the lights were off since I had removed the 12V battery but after taking it for a test drive the check engine and IMA light came on after a few miles. I drove another 10 miles or so then when I pulled back in the driveway I put the car in "S" to let the battery charge all the way. After a few minutes the red battery light came back on.

I checked the codes and all that came up this time was the P1448 again. As I mentioned in the first post, I previously replaced the IMA fan because I have read this code usually means a bad fan. When I turn on the AC while the car is running I hear the fan kick in, so I know it's working. I next took the entire trunk apart to check the air intake and exhaust for the IMA compartment and they were just fine. Another note, I have been driving it the past two weeks without the back seat, so the IMA compartment has more air flow than usual.

Today I went and bought a new 12V battery. The old one was almost 3 years old and had been drained and re-charged at least 10 times in the last two months. So I figured either way I would need one soon. I installed it I took it for another test drive and had the same results. The check engine light and IMA came on within a few miles and the red battery light came on while sitting in the driveway letting it charge after the test drive.

Is there anything else I can check before I have to give in and take it to the dealership?

Thank you again for your help!

Old 08-03-2015, 06:40 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Check your PMs

Old 09-29-2016, 11:39 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HienNC
Thank you for your reply S Kieth. I went back yesterday and re-checked all of the connections and the only issue I came across was the positive 12V battery connector needed replacing. I replaced the cable end and re-charged the 12V battery. And the IMA battery started charging! Huge relief!

All of the lights were off since I had removed the 12V battery but after taking it for a test drive the check engine and IMA light came on after a few miles. I drove another 10 miles or so then when I pulled back in the driveway I put the car in "S" to let the battery charge all the way. After a few minutes the red battery light came back on.

I checked the codes and all that came up this time was the P1448 again. As I mentioned in the first post, I previously replaced the IMA fan because I have read this code usually means a bad fan. When I turn on the AC while the car is running I hear the fan kick in, so I know it's working. I next took the entire trunk apart to check the air intake and exhaust for the IMA compartment and they were just fine. Another note, I have been driving it the past two weeks without the back seat, so the IMA compartment has more air flow than usual.

Today I went and bought a new 12V battery. The old one was almost 3 years old and had been drained and re-charged at least 10 times in the last two months. So I figured either way I would need one soon. I installed it I took it for another test drive and had the same results. The check engine light and IMA came on within a few miles and the red battery light came on while sitting in the driveway letting it charge after the test drive.

Is there anything else I can check before I have to give in and take it to the dealership?

Thank you again for your help!
Hi there I have the same problem with my HCH II. everything you tried I`ve tried it too. it`s nothing wrong with the Fan or the IMA battery. the Hybrid system heads up and coast all the problem. you and I need to find which module is responsable for the Fan to turn on and replace it.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:39 AM
Enthusiast

Hi there I have the same problem with my HCH II. everything you tried I`ve tried it too. it`s nothing wrong with the Fan or the IMA battery. the Hybrid system heads up and coast all the problem. you and I need to find which module is responsable for the Fan to turn on and replace it