2008 honda civic hybrid antenna

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 09:17 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2008 honda civic hybrid antenna

We are considering buying a Thule roof box, and wondering about that odd black antenna that sticks out at an angle from the back of the roof -- will it be in the way?!

Many thanks.
Glad to have discovered this forum.

Frances & David

Old 05-01-2009, 10:50 PM
2nd Hybrid Owner
Default Re: 2008 honda civic hybrid antenna

The antenna unscrews and can be left off - It is only used for AM radio - since I never turn on Antique Static AM radio, I have no antenna sticking out - just use the mp3 player 100% of the time, FM works fine without it.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:25 PM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: 2008 honda civic hybrid antenna

Thanks very much for the reply, larryr.
That makes it a non issue.
Now, we'll just figure out how to unscrew it, but knowing that it is supposed to should make it a lot easier.
Many thanks,
Frances & David

Old 05-02-2009, 06:55 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Off topic, but can't resist:

We had a 91 accord with power antenna in the trunk. It was wired to run up everytime the radio was turned on, even if it was just to play a tape (remember those?), and run back down every time the radio was shut off.

It took about 18 months for the first failure and repair. The dealership cautioned me to frequently clean and lube the telescoping aerial, which I did. It continued to fail. It finally clapped out completely. All in all we spent $100's on that dang thing.

You see a lot of that gen of accords driving around with aerials stuck half way up, or replaced with aftermarket stubbies.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:14 AM
Arrow Re: 2008 honda civic hybrid antenna

Originally Posted by larryr
The antenna unscrews and can be left off - It is only used for AM radio - since I never turn on Antique Static AM radio, I have no antenna sticking out - just use the mp3 player 100% of the time, FM works fine without it.
Just to clarify... any year models with GPS/NAV or '09 models with XM radio do not use that antenna except for AM radio?

Old 05-02-2009, 08:41 AM

I have Yakima roof racks with a Yakima 11 cubic ft. locking trunk. The box is about 7' long and 18" wide. It is call space booster and is very easy to put onto the racks. The box has 4 clamps you fasten from inside. I also pack my Kayak on the other side of the antenna. Oh , I should mention that the racks are lockable as well. And I had to install a fairing for noise. Racks a very easy to remove and install and very good quality. Hal

Old 05-02-2009, 10:00 AM
2nd Hybrid Owner

Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro
Just to clarify... any year models with GPS/NAV or '09 models with XM radio do not use that antenna except for AM radio?
That is correct at least for the 06 and newer HCH II - the black stub is the FM/XM antenna, the flexable removable black piece it the AM antenna.

Most other civic model have the am/fm antenna in the pattern on the rear window that is not the rear window heater.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:08 PM
Energy Independence

Originally Posted by Mendel Leisk
Off topic, but can't resist:

We had a 91 accord with power antenna in the trunk. It was wired to run up everytime the radio was turned on, even if it was just to play a tape (remember those?), and run back down every time the radio was shut off.

It took about 18 months for the first failure and repair. The dealership cautioned me to frequently clean and lube the telescoping aerial, which I did. It continued to fail. It finally clapped out completely. All in all we spent $100's on that dang thing.
My Benz has one like that. And it has failed once, too. I have an aftermarket stereo set-up in it now and it's wired to only come up for AM and FM, not for the CD or CD changer. I guess the Kenwood receiver can send out the "power-up/down" signal intelligently.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:07 PM

I put in a switch to interupt power to it if we were playing tapes, but that was just once in a while.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

I wonder why the hybrid doesn't share the same antenna design as all other Civics...

Quick Reply: 2008 honda civic hybrid antenna

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands