2009 HCH Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 03:59 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2009 HCH Question

Hello everyone, need some general advice. I am in the process of potentially buying an 09 HCH with about 45k miles on it for around 16k. I've been reading a lot of both positive and negative reviews and cant seem to get a heartbeat on whether this car is a worthwhile hybrid to buy. Seems to be alot of IMA issues from what Ive been reading.

At any rate, Would you current owners of this model year recommend it? Would just like to hear about everyone's general opinions and reviews on this car. Thanks!

Old 06-04-2012, 09:58 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2009 HCH Question

It's prolly to late for this reply, but knowing what I know now with mine, I got 2 months out of it before the recalls started, I bought it at 78k, and only ever got around 34 mpg, now I average 24 mpg and it gets worse with the battery recalls, and I'm stuck in it, I would suggest to stay away from these cars as far as you can.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CYork
It's prolly to late for this reply, but knowing what I know now with mine, I got 2 months out of it before the recalls started, I bought it at 78k, and only ever got around 34 mpg, now I average 24 mpg and it gets worse with the battery recalls, and I'm stuck in it, I would suggest to stay away from these cars as far as you can.
The key parameter missing in everything (related to problems) you've probably read is sample set size. I completely agree with those who think that Honda has been less than honest and has been been a dick in dealing with IMA problems and such. But from what I've gathered it's a small percent of owners that have had these problems -- remember people usually come to these forums when they face an issue, not when their car has been fantastic for 3+ years [with the odd exception, perhaps].

On a scale of 1-10 I won't recommend this at 10 but would be comfortable recommending it at around 7 or 8. It's a decent car especially if you don't push it hard (in terms of power).

Best wishes on your decision assuming you've not already bought a car!

Old 06-06-2012, 12:29 AM
Enthusiast

IN my experience, about 80 % of the 06 to 09 HCH's that ive driven or talked with the owners and the car is above 85k miles has issues especially with the recalls everytime it gets driven, the cars under that seem to work just fine other than the mileage lost from the software "update/downgrade"

Mine is currently at honda again for more testing...... and they gave me a regular civic as a loaner, while ive had to do a major adjustment to my driving with the extra power it has, im currently getting 38 mpg in it, so its times like this that i really kick myself for going with a hybrid when the non hybrid gets better mileage and a far better driving experience, lol i can actually pull out in traffic.

BT I dont understand what you mean by "It's a decent car especially if you don't push it hard (in terms of power). " How can you drive one of these and not push it? I have to almost put it to the floor just to get it to go. and on the hwy, to the floor it will barely pass someone. grant it, mine recalls constantly and the ima is always at 2 bars,

so thats the difference,