2009 Honda Civic Hybrid - Driver's Seat has too much lumbar!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 10:14 PM
Enthusiast
Angry 2009 Honda Civic Hybrid - Driver's Seat has too much lumbar!!

I just leased a 2009 Honda Civic Hybrid Sedan (no leather, no navigation). Love everything about it except for ONE THING! I wish I would have noticed it more on my test drives, but over the last few weeks I have noticed that the driver's seat is extremely uncomfortable for my back. The back of the seat has built in lumbar that is like it is on FULL (with no adjustable lumbar option). It litereally feels like I am sitting back on a log. Any ideas on how to improve this? The dealership told me I could go to a professional upholstry place and they could shave down the foam, and the re-attach the upholstry... but that makes me worry that I'll spend a lot of money doing that and it still won't be right. I'm thinking about looking for a seat pad that will attach to the back of the seat, but instead fill in the space above the lumbar area so as to make the back more flat again. Does anybody else have this problem? Any ideas that have worked for anybody?

Thanks!

Old 06-23-2009, 04:45 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2009 Honda Civic Hybrid - Driver's Seat has too much lumbar!!

Honda seat's have always hurt me. The 06 Civic EX, 05 Accord EX and now the 09 HCHII. Today we will be driving my MZ3 and its seat is wonderful for me. Even has a simple lumbar adjuster I can actually use and not feel like I need a Soma or pain pill after driving.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

Mine is fine, perhaps your back is unique ? I do a 40km commute everyday

Old 06-23-2009, 12:43 PM
Enthusiast

I'm 5' 11", 170, and I don't think I have a whole lot of curvature to my back. I think my back prefers flatter seat backs. If anybody has had a similar problem with the driver's seat and has been able to fix it, please let me know!!

Old 06-23-2009, 01:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

When I first drove my '08 HCH I also noticed the extra firmness in the lumbar area. Perhaps I've gotten used to it now but it doesn't bother me any more. I wonder whether the foam has a bit of a "memory" which eventually adjusts to the driver's shape. I mention this because I also found the seats in our '05 Accord were better after we "broke" them in. Now they're great, even after 500 mile days!

Cheers,

Roger

Old 06-23-2009, 07:17 PM
2nd Hybrid Owner

I like the lumbar fine, I wish the seat bottom had a little more padding. My back is fine after 12 hour drives, but my butt is a little sore.
Haven driven over 20000 miles in 2 HCH II, The lumbar is just right for a 6'4" tall guy. My 250 lb body would like a little more padding in the seat.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:43 PM

While the seat still hurts me in our's. It's better than my 06 EX Sedan mainly in feel pressure wise. The 06 Civic's seat was very firm. This seat feels like its padded with the same martial or like wise foam as the 05 Accord had. There is a tad of cush that was not present in the 06's seat.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:00 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Let's trade seats. I had to add lumbar cushion to our '06 HCHII. This is a new "feature" for '09, I believe.

Honda needs to spend the extra $20 and put a manual adjustable lumbar in their Civics.

Good luck, nf

P.S. I do recommend the seat upholsterers. Do it.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:45 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by noflash
Let's trade seats. I had to add lumbar cushion to our '06 HCHII. This is a new "feature" for '09, I believe.

Honda needs to spend the extra $20 and put a manual adjustable lumbar in their Civics.

Good luck, nf

P.S. I do recommend the seat upholsterers. Do it.
noflash - When you say you recommend the seat upholsterers, what are you referring to? I'm not familiar with those. Let me know - Thanks!

Old 06-24-2009, 12:50 PM

If you want an inexpensive solution purchase the following from Brookstone.

http://www.brookstone.com/body-massa...e-pillows.html

I purchased one yesterday to help with back strain on my Insight. Now I did not install batteries in it yet, but it does reduce the stress in my shoulders....

Quick Reply: 2009 Honda Civic Hybrid - Driver's Seat has too much lumbar!!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands