4500 mile road trip coming up. HCH II

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 07:41 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default 4500 mile road trip coming up. HCH II

I am planning a roadtrip from Los Angeles to Chicago. It looks to be about 2100 miles are so plus any side stops and touring around. Round trip I'm looking at about 4500 rounded off.

The thing is, I plan going there non-stop. Is that a good idea on a Hybrid? Do you think it is safe to have the engine running non-stop like the way I am planning my roadtrip?

I really wanted to test out my Civic. I was going to my wifes TSX but I figure if I can save some gas then it would be pretty cool.

What do you guys think? 4500 miles in one week. Will it take a toll on my car? And especially if I run the car for 2100 miles on a 28hr trip.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:55 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 4500 mile road trip coming up. HCH II

If it can't take it that's a major flaw.

Of course it can take it, engines don't require rest and are happy to run for weeks on end without any adversity.

Old 12-23-2007, 04:35 AM
HypoFueler

Cool trip - my dad took it in a 38 (Packard?) over 50 years ago going the other way...

You should save about $200 just in gas and a few stops for gas as well.

Drive safe and let us know how it went!

Old 12-23-2007, 07:23 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GotIng
What do you guys think? 4500 miles in one week. Will it take a toll on my car? And especially if I run the car for 2100 miles on a 28hr trip.
It will take a toll on you, especially if you plan on being the only driver! The car will be ready for more...how about you?

Old 12-23-2007, 07:33 AM

It depends on what you mean by non-stop.

Big rigs need to stop under federal laws for human limitations. Also, most big riggers stop to allow the engine to rest. Over stressing the engine (with one long run) can cause major issues down the road when the car returns to everyday tasks (fill in the blank for what you do everyday).

But otherwise, why would you want to put so many miles on your car?

Old 12-23-2007, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by arbittan
It depends on what you mean by non-stop.

Big rigs need to stop under federal laws for human limitations. Also, most big riggers stop to allow the engine to rest. Over stressing the engine (with one long run) can cause major issues down the road when the car returns to everyday tasks (fill in the blank for what you do everyday).

But otherwise, why would you want to put so many miles on your car?
Truck drivers need rest, but I've never heard of an engine needing rest. Once it's reached it's normal operating temperature it experiences essentially the same stress, there is no accumulative increase in stress as the hours/miles accumulate.

Any evidence supporting this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Old 12-23-2007, 03:26 PM

Unfortunately I do not have any real concrete data on engine reliability if run continuously over 2000 miles one way, but logic would kick in that something could be happening to the components and the results of that might not become apparent for many miles or years down the road....

GTX use to advertise on the commercials a long time ago about viscosity breakdown in cars. With heat build up of higher performance engines etc.

Just to be on the safe side I would continue to take breaks during the trip to ensure proper blood flow to your legs, time to stretch and stuff like that....

If during that time your car "rests" too, that's good

Old 12-23-2007, 09:06 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Rex;

Many folks have done really long drives on the HCH-II (myself included) and its been pretty good -almost relaxing. The thing that makes the HCH-II the best highway cruiser of the Civic lineup is the extremely high gearing afforded by the CVT. When traveling at highway speeds the gas engine is barely stressing itself compared to other vehicles and that places it in a rather ideal operational range.

Non-stop is definitely too easy for the car, but not for a single driver. Those of us who have done non-stop trips can only do it safely by taking turns with a second tag-along driver.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 12-24-2007, 06:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

Over the years, I've made several road trips in the 2,000 - 3,000 mile range, one in the HCH. They hybrid was fine -- no different than a standard car. But I can tell you this; If you drive 4,500 miles in one week, it won't be any fun, because all you'll do is drive.

Through the western U.S. you can average 70 mph on the road, including fuel and food stops. But to get 4,500 miles, you'll have to average 600+ miles per day, which means nine hours of driving per day. Maybe more if you go through the rocky mountains.

So side trips and sightseeing will be difficult, if not impossible. And that really negates the value of a road trip, doesn't it?

Are you sure you want to do it?

Old 12-24-2007, 09:44 AM

When are you planning on doing this. Hopefully the roads will be okay. Well, if you do do the drive contact me. I am in Chicago and can get you passes to the Hancock, Sears Tower, and a couple of museums.

Quick Reply: 4500 mile road trip coming up. HCH II

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands