-5F + Check engine light + IMA warning light on

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 06:19 AM
Enthusiast
Unhappy -5F + Check engine light + IMA warning light on

Hello everyone, i'm new to this forum and hybrid cars. I bought an used 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid in excellent shape (109,000 mi.) about 2 months ago.
It's been driving excellent. IMA charges fully everyday, great gas milage.

When it had gotten very cold, first cold snap since i've had the car, (-5 bellow) I had an incident with the check engine light coming on. It was a generic code, that when reset, didn't come back on again.

This morning, second cold snap (-10 bellow), car had a hard start, check engine light came on, IMA warning light (orange) came on and the 12v battery warning light came on also. Once I started driving the 12v light went off but would come back on when I stopped at a stop sign. So here's what is really disturbing me, the IMA is neither assisting nor charging. Unfortunately, it's not supposed to warm up anytime soon.

Any thoughts and or ideas would be great. I'm hoping that once it warms up the IMA will function again.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:51 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: -5F + Check engine light + IMA warning light on

Your 12v is week. Check the voltage in the morning after sitting all night. If the 12v shows over 12.1 or more it is OK, but lower than 12 it is probably toast.You require a multi meter for this test. H

Old 01-24-2013, 05:47 PM
Enthusiast

Luckily, when I started my car after work today, the IMA light was off. Also, it was back to driving normally (assisting and charging).
The check engine light is still on but I'm guessing that will need to be turned off manually, like the last time.

The carfax report said that the 12v battery was replaced at 100,000 miles. Could it still be bad after only 9,000mi.?
It's going to be another cold night tonight so I'm expecting to drive to work tomorrow without the IMA again.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:37 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Go to Wal-mart, Pep Boys or a place like that and have them load test the 12v. It is a small battery and can draw down if a interior light is left on .In some cases when the IMA is toast your 12v does not get charged and that is more than likely the problem? H

Old 02-26-2014, 10:17 PM

are you solved this problem?if this can be resolved help me I also have problems like this

Last edited by Erdenesukh Sukhbaatar; 02-26-2014 at 10:22 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:27 PM
Think green.

I agree with Harold on this one.
Same thing happened to me when the weather got ridiculously cold. My 12V battery was bad. Got a new one, and all is well again.

Don't forget if you do get a new 12V battery, make sure you know your radio code since you'll need to enter that back in if you have the original Honda radio in your car.