A 6 Upgrade/MODS weekend! FOGS/HIR/HELLA/Clear Lamps/WheelSkins/SI Grill

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 08:17 PM
Enthusiast
Default A 6 Upgrade/MODS weekend! FOGS/HIR/HELLA/Clear Lamps/WheelSkins/SI Grill

Over the President’s long weekend I completed 6 upgrades/MODS:
  • Installed the factory fog lamps. While I had the front bumper cover off I also
  • Upgraded the weak horn for some meaningful Hella horns. For those of you still contemplating this upgrade, it is pretty straight forward. I kept the original single conductor OEM plus and found that a spade or fork connector will fit the single conductor OEM plug contact without needing to cut or otherwise remove the OEM plug. As mentioned in previous discussions about horn upgrades, a simple ring connector connected to the mounting bolt works for the ground;
  • Changed out the OEM bright plastic grill for the SI grill and black base sans the SI emblem (considering putting the “HYBRID” emblem from the rear trunk in the place where the SI emblem goes);
  • Installed cleared headlights (previously cleared using a second set of lamps) with chrome amber parking bulbs. I did get the chrome amber bulbs from the controversial source mentioned here and on the 8th Civic site, but these were delivered within 3 days of ordering—so it worked for me;
  • Installed Hi/Lo HIR lamps after the modest trimming of the 12 o’clock tab (and realigned the headlamps).
  • Laced on the Honda leather steering wheel cover—while not under the bumper, a nice upgrade. The instructions for this I found to be poor. Having laced on one of the Wheel Skins products before, I did not start at the location the factory instructions indicate. The issue is getting all the lacing holes correctly aligned, so I started at the middle bottom of the cover and counted the number of holes from one of the factory seams and aligned the holes this way. It is really easy to get off on the holes, especially when going around the spokes. I did need to back track and change the way the lacing is done around the spokes. Word of caution, wear leather gloves (like garnering gloves), as the tighter the lacing the better result.
I also found time for some minor maintenance including changing out the pollen filter and air filter and a very good wash and clay treatment ( I really like the Griot’s Garage clay bar) followed by a coat of ReJex.

TDSOUP

Old 02-19-2008, 12:24 AM
F**k ExxonMobil
Default Re: A 6 Upgrade/MODS weekend! FOGS/HIR/HELLA/Clear Lamps/WheelSkins/SI Grill

Pix!!!

Old 02-19-2008, 04:48 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: A 6 Upgrade/MODS weekend! FOGS/HIR/HELLA/Clear Lamps/WheelSkins/SI Grill

This thread is worthless without pics.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:18 AM
Wo ai Zheng!

Originally Posted by TDSOUP
Installed cleared headlights (previously cleared using a second set of lamps) with chrome amber parking bulbs. I did get the chrome amber bulbs from the controversial source mentioned here and on the 8th Civic site, but these were delivered within 3 days of ordering—so it worked for me;
????? What are "cleared headlights"?

And if you need some web space for the pics, let me know. My server's got plenty of space to spare.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:38 AM
Enthusiast

What are "cleared headlights"?

And if you need some web space for the pics, let me know. My server's got plenty of space to spare.[/quote]

Cleared headlights are lights that have the amber/orange turn signal lens removed and chrome amber bulbs (which appear silver but light amber) used to provide the amber/orange indicator.

PS thanks for the pic space--I'll need to take some to post.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:01 AM
HOV lane commuter

Also, which car is this? HCH-I, HCH-II? You've posted in the "general" discussion site, and your profile doesn't specify. (Am interested in the leather wheel wrap for the HCH-II.) Thanks.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:33 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JRCaesar
Also, which car is this? HCH-I, HCH-II? You've posted in the "general" discussion site, and your profile doesn't specify. (Am interested in the leather wheel wrap for the HCH-II.) Thanks.

HCH II--sorry, I thought I was in the HCH II forum when I posted this.

TDSOUP

Old 02-19-2008, 01:48 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Did you clear the headlamps in the oven or with a heat gun, etc?

(considering putting the “HYBRID” emblem from the rear trunk in the place where the SI emblem goes);
IMO, a hybrid emblem there would look bad. I think an IMA emblem would be nice. (if you could get one made)

Old 02-19-2008, 04:08 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by giantquesadilla
Did you clear the headlamps in the oven or with a heat gun, etc?

IMO, a hybrid emblem there would look bad. I think an IMA emblem would be nice. (if you could get one made)

I used the oven method, about 275 F in a convection oven. I ended up doing this in phases--the first one to get the lens partially removed--to start the removal process and then a second heat, followed by complete removal. Then once again to reset the lens after clearing it. I found than 3M adhesive remover takes any stray adhesive off. Then followed with a plastic polish to polish the lens really clean and remove any stuck on road grim.

I also am not to sure about the Hybrid emblem there, but I was also thinking about the green leaf that the Ford hybrids have. This is small and subtle.

TDSOUP

Old 02-19-2008, 04:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TDSOUP
I used the oven method, about 275 F in a convection oven. I ended up doing this in phases--the first one to get the lens partially removed--to start the removal process and then a second heat, followed by complete removal. Then once again to reset the lens after clearing it. I found than 3M adhesive remover takes any stray adhesive off. Then followed with a plastic polish to polish the lens really clean and remove any stuck on road grim.

I also am not to sure about the Hybrid emblem there, but I was also thinking about the green leaf that the Ford hybrids have. This is small and subtle.

TDSOUP
Yah. I really like that leaf too. It would probably be easier to get. Did u put new adhesive on, or just bake it with the old adhesive? If you used new adhesive, what type was it? (I wouldn't feel comfortable using the same adhesive)

Quick Reply: A 6 Upgrade/MODS weekend! FOGS/HIR/HELLA/Clear Lamps/WheelSkins/SI Grill

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands