The 91 in CA and the Sticker

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 06:23 PM
Enthusiast
Default The 91 in CA and the Sticker

Does anyone know whether you are allowed in the 91 fasttrak lane with the carpool lane sticker?

Old 05-10-2006, 09:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: The 91 in CA and the Sticker

Sorry... no Fastrack with the sticker! I know you need to use a Fastrack transponder to get and use the sticker in Northern CA, but that doesn't apply here.

Old 05-10-2006, 10:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

As far as I am aware, the 91 fasttrak is a private venture, not involved with cal trans. You will be ticketed without the transponder.

Originally Posted by esteban
Does anyone know whether you are allowed in the 91 fasttrak lane with the carpool lane sticker?

Old 05-11-2006, 12:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chesleyn
As far as I am aware, the 91 fasttrak is a private venture, not involved with cal trans. You will be ticketed without the transponder.
You are correct!

Old 05-11-2006, 12:49 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Funny, I just saw it for the first time today. I thought it was kinda weird looking, how the freeway was all coned off from the rest of it....

Old 05-11-2006, 09:39 AM
CarsDirect Staff

Originally Posted by chesleyn
Originally, the 91 express lanes were a private venture. But a couple of years ago, the owners were bought out by OCTA (Orange County Transportation Authority). (Note that CalTrans has nothing to do with OCTA).

In short, it was a private venture, but now owned by the county. Interestingly, they county has to contract and pay for CHP to patrol the express lanes.

Tony

Old 05-11-2006, 09:47 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mexiken
Funny, I just saw it for the first time today. I thought it was kinda weird looking, how the freeway was all coned off from the rest of it....
It is weird... and expensive! Why folks pay $8 one way to ride ten miles is beyond me. I couldn't take it even if I wanted to, since it's an "express" route with no exits... and I live at the mid-point.

Half the time, traffic on the "main line" is moving fine to Weir Canyon (my exit)while the folks who paid $8 sit in stopped traffic on the fastrack lanes!

There was a rumor that they were going to change the fastrack into carpool lanes, but I haven't heard anything about that in a couple of years. Also rumors of double-decking the 91 or creating a new parallel route by blasting a tunnel under the hills. The'll need mega-$$$ for that!

Old 05-11-2006, 01:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

I know you can't drive the Hybrid without paying on the toll roads (e.g. 73 in OC), but I can drive in the Fastrak lanes in San Diego (I-15) with just my sticker. The signs now actually have a little additional sign on them saying "Cars with Clean Air Vehicle Sticker OK" Look for that sign... if it's not there, I wouldn't chance it!
--A