Ac compressor grinding

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 09:51 AM
Enthusiast
Default Ac compressor grinding

So I took my 2003 hch to the dealer to get it diagnosed on why it's been squeeling. They told me the ac compressor is going bad, and that it would be $1200 to replace. I told them to forget it because I'm not paying that much.
My friend has been telling me that you can get a shorter belt that will only make the alternator and the water pump turn on, not the compressor. My question is, if I were to do that, will that make the compressor stop squeeling since it won't be touched? Also, will the heat still work in the car?

Old 08-27-2015, 03:40 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Ac compressor grinding

Originally Posted by Dsands503
So I took my 2003 hch to the dealer to get it diagnosed on why it's been squeeling. They told me the ac compressor is going bad, and that it would be $1200 to replace. I told them to forget it because I'm not paying that much.
My friend has been telling me that you can get a shorter belt that will only make the alternator and the water pump turn on, not the compressor. My question is, if I were to do that, will that make the compressor stop squeeling since it won't be touched? Also, will the heat still work in the car?
I can't imagine the belt scenario you describe would work. Get an estimate from a local shop using a salvage yard compressor. Should be about $400-500. Do it yourself for $100.

There is a shim or shims that sets the armature spacing. They have likely worn permitting the armature to contact the pulley.

Questions:
  1. Which is it... squealing like steel rubbing together or similar to squealing brakes or grinding?
  2. Does the A/C still work acceptably?
  3. When the A/C system is set to provide the coldest uninterrupted air, not in eco mode, does the squealing go away?

Old 08-27-2015, 03:52 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
I can't imagine the belt scenario you describe would work. Get an estimate from a local shop using a salvage yard compressor. Should be about $400-500. Do it yourself for $100.

There is a shim or shims that sets the armature spacing. They have likely worn permitting the armature to contact the pulley.

Questions:
  1. Which is it... squealing like steel rubbing together or similar to squealing brakes or grinding?
  2. Does the A/C still work acceptably?
  3. When the A/C system is set to provide the coldest uninterrupted air, not in eco mode, does the squealing go away?
Why don't you think it wouldn't work? The belt wouldn't even come in contact with the compressor.
I would say more like squeeling of breaks.
The ac was getting a little less powerful, but I just recharged it the other day and it blows nice and cold.
I haven't tried it without eco mode. When I leave tonight I'll test it and let you know.

Old 08-27-2015, 04:03 PM

Why don't you think it wouldn't work? The belt wouldn't even come in contact with the compressor.
I would say more like squeeling of breaks.
The ac was getting a little less powerful, but I just recharged it the other day and it blows nice and cold.
I haven't tried it without eco mode. When I leave tonight I'll test it and let you know.
More importantly, when you know the compressor is actually pumping, does the squealing stop?

Old 08-27-2015, 04:40 PM
Enthusiast

More importantly, when you know the compressor is actually pumping, does the squealing stop?
I don't think so. But I haven't really had the ac on since they told me that was what's wrong

Old 08-27-2015, 06:04 PM

I don't think so. But I haven't really had the ac on since they told me that was what's wrong
If the squeal diminishes or goes away when the compressor is running, this is about a $10 fix.

Old 08-27-2015, 06:08 PM
Enthusiast

If the squeal diminishes or goes away when the compressor is running, this is about a $10 fix.
So I was driving about an hour ago, and it started squeeling. I turned the ac on, and right when I did the noise quited immediately

Old 08-27-2015, 06:15 PM

You need to re-shim the compressor or rebuild the clutch. As I mentioned above, your armature is dragging on the pulley. When the compressor turns on, the armature rotates with the pulley eliminating the squeal. You can likely fix this by removing the armature and re-shimming.

I believe on the HCH1, you can access the compressor from the passenger side wheel well. You would need to use an impact driver to remove the nut, slide the armature off and re-shim. Shim packs are about $5.

Item 5:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...2FC+COMPRESSOR

Can probably be done without even removing the belt.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:28 PM
Enthusiast

You need to re-shim the compressor or rebuild the clutch. As I mentioned above, your armature is dragging on the pulley. When the compressor turns on, the armature rotates with the pulley eliminating the squeal. You can likely fix this by removing the armature and re-shimming.

I believe on the HCH1, you can access the compressor from the passenger side wheel well. You would need to use an impact driver to remove the nut, slide the armature off and re-shim. Shim packs are about $5.

Item 5:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...2FC+COMPRESSOR

Can probably be done without even removing the belt.
Sorry for the late reply. But do you by chance know of a YouTube video that will show me step by step?

Old 08-31-2015, 03:37 PM

Sorry for the late reply. But do you by chance know of a YouTube video that will show me step by step?
Nope. sorry. If you have any mechanically inclined friends, they could probably help. It's extremely simple. Literally one nut to get the armature off, then install shims and measure clearance with feeler gauges. The only uncertainty is access... if it can be done on the car or if the compressor has to be removed.

I would suspect that even if it can't be done in place, it could be unmounted and done without disconnecting the compressor from the system.

Steve

Quick Reply: Ac compressor grinding

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands