Adding acetone to gasoline for better mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 06:24 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Adding acetone to gasoline for better mileage?

Anyone heard of this? According to this thread, it lowers the surface tension of gasoline so it atomizes better and therefore burns more thoroughly. One guy with an 05 HCH said:

I was averaging 42 to 44 city and 45- 48 Hwy. I started adding Acetone at the rate of 3oz per full tank (roughly 12 gallons). My resluts are very impressive. i now record 47 to 49 city and a robust 51 to 59 hwy
Here's the complete thread:

http://hybridcars.com/discussion/dis...475&replies=13

And here's a bunch of info on the subject:

http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directo..._Fuel_Additive

Last edited by NASAgineer; 12-16-2005 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:37 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Adding acetone to gasoline for better mileage?

it's been beat to death here- do some deep searches in the fuel forum.

EPA has discredited this and more or less every other type of fuel saver out there. I'm not calling the folks who give testimony for these ads liars; I think they are carefully edited and/or another factor was the cause.

A modern fuel-injected engine already completely combusts very close to 100% of the fuel introduced into the cylinder- that's why CO emissions are so much lower now than they were 30 years ago. Higher CO is the giveaway to uncombusted fuel.

Old 12-16-2005, 06:38 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I checked the thread out but have not heard of it either before seeing your post.

Old 12-17-2005, 01:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

Im sure the warrantee dept would love to hear all about it. lol

Old 12-17-2005, 02:24 AM

I've heard of additives being very useful for diesel cars but have heard nothing about gasoline engines. It's probably crap.

Old 01-01-2006, 03:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

http://www.pureenergysystems.com/new...00069_Acetone/

http://digg.com/mods/Acetone_In_Fuel...crease_Mileage

http://fueleconomytips.com/content/view/83/2/

I found these websites that makes the same claim. Positive and negative comments.

I like the comment one of the posters in the forum one said ... Wait for the Mythbusters to test it to be certain . We all need to send in a lot of requests for them to test all the mileage increasers for cars today on several different types of vehicles including hybrids. Maybe they can have some GreenHybrid expert hypermilers from CA help them with the experiments

Just a thought.

Last edited by bluesesshomaru17; 01-01-2006 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have tried acetone in both my car and my wife's car. I saw a 6-10% gain over three separate tanks in my car. In my wife's car, I had a 5% gain in one tank and no gain in a second tank.

Does this mean that it works - I can't tell you. A 10% gain in my car was about 3mpg. I don't know if it was due to the acetone or whether it was due to me psychologically changing my driving habits knowing that I'm testing something for better fuel economy.

I agree with "wait for Mythbusters" comment. A true test of the product should be done on a set course ideally with similar weather conditions and similar driving techniques. In terms of testing it for yourself, I'd do it on a car that isn't your hybrid first. I can't be certain, but after a tank with the acetone on my wife's car, an O2 sensor went bad. I've heard of this come up by several other testers, but they're not sure if it was the acetone that did it or not. It didn't throw the O2 sensor on my car.

Jeff

Old 01-02-2006, 07:20 AM

Well I was reading the fueleconomytips.com link that was posted and it's total bullshit. It claims gas with the highest octane is "cleanest" and best, which I'm sure we all know is completely wrong. Since it uses that argument to explain why acetone works, I'm definitely inclined to believe it in fact does not.

Old 01-02-2006, 07:43 PM
Dual-Hybrid First Adopter

Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
I've heard of additives being very useful for diesel cars but have heard nothing about gasoline engines. It's probably crap.
Yep there is.

There's a product out there called (believe it or not) Miracle Oil that you use in a diesel - you can put it both in your gas tank and in your oil as well (you gotta love a diesel car.)

Basically it keeps the gas from gelatenizing in the winter time (the parafin in the fuel solidifies at very low temps - that's why there's a "winter grade" of diesel with less of the stuff in it.) and it'll also prevent algae buildup (the critters love the parafin) in your tank.

I would buy it in big 2 gallon jugs at the truck stops and put in about 12 ounces per tankful, and that baby ran like.... er.... a dumptruck loaded with nitro, rolling across cobblestone.

Old 01-02-2006, 08:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

There's a product out there called (believe it or not) Miracle Oil
Kinda sounds like Marvel Mystery Oil

Quick Reply: Adding acetone to gasoline for better mileage?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands