Adding power accessories and running wires around car

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 12:56 PM
Eye am teh smartey
Default Adding power accessories and running wires around car

Hello folks!

I'm new to the forum, I've had my 05 HCH for about a week now and I'm working on my amateur radio installation, and provisions for future accessories like an inverter and car computer. There are a couple of issues I'm working with.

First of all, where's the best place to get high-current 12v on the car? Usually I wire stuff directly to the battery. But most cars have a 12v alternator, but not the HCH. I see an 80A "Battery" fuse in the fuse block, I'm assuming that's between the battery and wherever the 12v source is, presumably the IMA controller? Can anybody elaborate on what the 12v powersource in this car is?

Second issue is where to run wires. I've got to get power from the battery to the trunk, and from the battery into the passenger compartment, center console area. I've also got to run some control cable for radios and stuff from the center console into the trunk. And I've got to run a coaxial antenna cable from the trunk to wherever I decide to mount my antenna, probably in the center of the roof if I can bring myself to drill a hole in it. Are there any useful holes in the firewall and between trunk and the passenger compartment? Some guy on rec.autos.makers.honda suggested running wires in the IMA conduit under the car but I think that's a bad idea for several good reasons.

Thanks!

73 de n1ywb

2005 HCH
www.n1ywb.com

Old 04-08-2005, 01:41 PM
Default Re: Adding power accessories and running wires around car

Originally Posted by n1ywb
Hello folks!

I'm new to the forum, I've had my 05 HCH for about a week now and I'm working on my amateur radio installation, and provisions for future accessories like an inverter and car computer. There are a couple of issues I'm working with.

First of all, where's the best place to get high-current 12v on the car? Usually I wire stuff directly to the battery. But most cars have a 12v alternator, but not the HCH. I see an 80A "Battery" fuse in the fuse block, I'm assuming that's between the battery and wherever the 12v source is, presumably the IMA controller? Can anybody elaborate on what the 12v powersource in this car is?

Second issue is where to run wires. I've got to get power from the battery to the trunk, and from the battery into the passenger compartment, center console area. I've also got to run some control cable for radios and stuff from the center console into the trunk. And I've got to run a coaxial antenna cable from the trunk to wherever I decide to mount my antenna, probably in the center of the roof if I can bring myself to drill a hole in it. Are there any useful holes in the firewall and between trunk and the passenger compartment? Some guy on rec.autos.makers.honda suggested running wires in the IMA conduit under the car but I think that's a bad idea for several good reasons.

Thanks!

73 de n1ywb

2005 HCH
www.n1ywb.com

I run my power from my battery directly to my amps.

I ran a 1/0 wire from the battery down the drivers side under the plastic sill or what ever that thing is called that runs along the floor.

I believe there is a hole in the firewall on the drivers side that isn't used. Look for an unused gromit .
I have an automatic though so it may be used if you have a manual.

The rest of the wires can be run under the sill on the passenger side to the trunk.

There are gaps you can get to the trunk from on both sides of the battery. You should probably protect the area by putting the wires in some split loom or something. I have some pictures of my stuff at http://www.sounddomain.com/id/tdb30 .

I would also recomend replacing the stock 12V battery. When My subs hit My voltage would drop to bellow 10V. I replaced the battery and now I'm not droping bellow 11.5 or so.

Also upgrade the chassis ground to battery with 4ga. I have 1/0 but that may be over kill.

I will post a picture of my battery in the share section for anyone that is interested.

Last edited by tbaleno; 04-08-2005 at 01:51 PM.